Sims 3 won't open: Alder Lake (Intel 12th-gen) CPU

by Fuchie

Original Post

Re: Sims 3 not working with EA app

★★★ Novice

Hi there!

I'm also experiencing some issues with TS3.

Recently I switched from Mac to PC, because I had some problems with the Mac as well.
Back to PC > Every time I try to launch TS3 with EA, nothing happens and the screen jumps back to EA. It's an endless situation. I click play, the TS3 Launcher launches, I click play again and it disappears. Back to EA I am.

I've tried to lauch TS3 with Origin, but the same thing happens. I've also tried to find some solutions; I've turned off all the checkmarks from Properties > Compatibility and stopped running the apps as administrator. I don't know what else there is to do. Reinstalling is also something I've tried like a thousand times. 

Hope you can help.

Message 481 of 1,378 (1,686 Views)

@nyyjane  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 482 of 1,378 (1,661 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

I think this is my DxDiag.

Message 483 of 1,378 (1,650 Views)

@nyyjane  Your dxdiag doesn't list any errors at all, which is quite strange.  (Even a fresh install of Windows usually has one or two.)  But what I do know is that at least one other user with the same processor as you had a particular issue that mostly affects 12th-gen Intel Core processors, specifically that Sims 3 doesn't start correctly.  The workaround is to limit the game to one CPU core as it's loading.  Please see the accepted solution of this thread for more information:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-Alder-Lake-Intel-12th-gen-CPU/m-p/11...

It's best to try the Task Manager method first just to make sure this is in fact the issue.  Then you can try one of the other methods if you prefer.  Please keep in mind that you'll need to apply the workaround to TS3.exe (no W) for an Origin or EA App install, but TS3W.exe (with the W) for a disc or Steam install.

Message 484 of 1,378 (1,648 Views)

Sims 3 won't open: Raptor Lake (Intel 13th-gen) CPU

★★★★★ Novice

Well, I'm formatting the title just like the ongoing problem for 12th gen CPUs.

I just bought a new PC with the lastest Intel processor (Intel i9 13th-gen) and can't play Sims 3.

I tried all the "unofficial" solution but neither are working, I've only managed to open the launcher and then, back again to EA app. 

Same with Sims Medieval.

I haven't found anything but I could've skipped the comment on the mega-post about this issue for 12th-gen so, any solution?

As always, thank you for your time!

Message 485 of 1,378 (1,470 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't open: Raptor Lake (Intel 13th-gen) CPU

@TaintedBloody  According to another user with a Raptor Lake CPU, the patch made by Lazy Duchess still works for Sims 3.  The key is that you need to apply it to TS3.exe, without the W, for an EA App install.

When all else fails, the Task Manager method should work too, again applied to TS3.exe.  It should also work for Sims Medieval, with the method applied to TSM.exe in that case.

If these don't help, please post a dxdiag.

Message 486 of 1,378 (1,517 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't open: Alder Lake (Intel 12th-gen) CPU

★★ Novice

I have a new computer with a 12th-gen i5 and windows 11 and I read through this thread and tried every solution there is, but I can't get anything to work. I have the Sims 3 on the EA App. The game launcher never loads either so I can't use the Task Manager solution and when I tried to use the same solution on the EA app directly I had the same issue that I've always had which is when I press play in the EA app, the EA app just loads up again and nothing else happens. I also tried the PowerShell Script. I watched the video in this thread as well so I made sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. Does anyone know why none of the solutions are working when they seem to be working for most other people? 

Message 487 of 1,378 (1,390 Views)

@mmoyer409  If the Sims 3 launcher won't even open, you're not getting far enough in the process of launching the game to have run into the error covered in this thread.  The most common reason for the launcher to not open is that DirectX 9 needs to be installed manually, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/SIMS-3-GAME-WON-T-LAUNCH-WINDOWS-10/m-p/10711778#M2478...

If that doesn't help you, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

Message 488 of 1,378 (1,491 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you, I can finally open the launcher! That fix worked. However, now I can't set an affinity in the Task Manager, the option doesn't appear for me anymore. How do I get the option back?

Message 489 of 1,378 (1,465 Views)

[ Edited ]

@mmoyer409  Click the Details tab of the Task Manager and look again.

Message 490 of 1,378 (1,454 Views)