Re: Sims 3 launcher wont start

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much! Yes, looks like that was the problem. My game is running without any problems now. Thanks a lot!
Message 311 of 1,351 (811 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello, everyone!

I built gaming pc with Intel 12th gen CPU and I tried running @LazyDuchess 's patch and using Process Lasso method but neither helped me to make the game run. Even TS3Launcher doesn't appear for me. No The Sims 3 folder is being generated in Electronic Arts folder. I attached DxDiag to this post. 

I am quite lost trying to figure out what to do at this point. I am able to run much more demanding and modern games on ultra settings without any problems.

Message 312 of 1,351 (786 Views)

@uli_simsy  If the launcher won't open and you don't see a Sims 3 user folder, you're not getting far enough to run into the issue with 12th-gen Intel processors.  Not that you wouldn't have that issue anyway, it's just that it only shows up once you press Play in the launcher.

Anyway, have you ever had two EA/Origin accounts merged?  An improperly-done merge is one reason you wouldn't be able to even open the launcher.

If you've never had accounts merged, please look for related errors in the Reliability Monitor; your dxdiag is full of Windows update errors and doesn't list anything about Sims 3.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, then look for any errors that mention Sims 3 or Origin, or any that happened at exactly the same time as you tried to launch the game.  For any you find, right-click on the error name and select "View technical details," then copy the info and paste it into a reply.

If you don't see any relevant errors, let me know; that's useful information too.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 313 of 1,351 (742 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate your technical insight because it is my first Windows device in very long time. I did merge two accounts at some point with help of EA support agent, however, I am currently able to play The Sims 3 on device (MacBook Pro) other than my gaming pc. For this reason, I am not 100% sure that the issue is in the incorrect merging of the accounts.

I also accessed Reliability Monitor as you suggested and there was no mention of Origin and/or TS3. I also didn't find anything suspicious happening at the time of the attempted launch. I attempted to launch The Sims 3 while in Reliability Monitor and it didn't show any new errors.

Message 314 of 1,351 (731 Views)

@uli_simsy  The launcher not opening at all combined with no related errors in a dxdiag or in the Reliability Monitor are as close to proof as you can get, from the user end at least, that this is an account merge issue.  The Mac versions of Sims 3 don't have the same DRM as the Windows/Origin version, so I'm not surprised at all that you can play on your Mac.

You'll need to contact EA customer support to get this fixed.  I'd particularly recommend EA Help on Twitter during U.S. business hours; you can try EA Help on Facebook if you prefer.  If you don't get anywhere with support, let me know, and I'll ask someone else to look over your posts.

Message 315 of 1,351 (713 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I was finally able to discuss the issue with people from EA Help on Twitter and we couldn't find anything wrong with my computer. They didn't find any issues caused by account merging and basically everything looks correct.

I was about to give up on trying to make The Sims 3 Launcher in Origin appear until I accidentally pressed on The Sims 3 icon in EA Desktop app and IT WORKED. The Sims 3 Launcher appeared and with LazyDuchess's patch I was able to launch the game. I have no idea why I am having trouble with Origin specifically, but trying EA Desktop app might be worth trying for other people with the same issue.

Message 316 of 1,351 (664 Views)

TS3 Wont go past launcher

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello!

I just built my PC and installed Windows 11 (literally to run the sims 3 haha) and I downloaded origin and installed the sims 4 and the sims 3. Sims 4 didn't recognize my graphic card at first, but now the game runs like a dream.

TS3 however will not go past the launcher phase. I will get the launcher up, and after I hit play the launcher closes like it normally does before the game loads up, but then crashes and origin pops up like it does when closing the game after playing. 

I attached my dxdiag and the x cpt file from the TS3 folder in documents.

On both my p.o.s windows 7 desktop from 2015 and my alienware windows 10 laptop I got in 2019 I have never had a problem getting TS3 to run.

Thanks so much!

Edit: Forgot to add that I have tried running as administrator and tried running in compatibility  mode for windows 7, vista, and 8. Nothing.

Message 317 of 1,351 (445 Views)

Re: TS3 Wont go past launcher

@LucidBlu  I've merged your post with the master thread for this issue, which is that Sims 3 doesn't start correctly on 12th-gen (Alder Lake) Intel processors.  The workaround is to limit the game to one CPU core while it's loading.  You can apply the patch Lazy Duchess made for this purpose:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-Alder-Lake-Intel-12th-gen-CPU/m-p/11...

If that happens not to work, you can instead use Process Lasso to limit the game to one core until you've loaded a save (or just reached the Main Menu; that should be fine).  After that, you'll want to undo the setting for better performance.

By the way, your Asus update software is throwing errors, so perhaps it needs to be updated as well.  Or you could just uninstall it considering you're using a desktop and don't need Asus-specific software beyond the motherboard's chipset drivers you've already installed.

Message 318 of 1,351 (424 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for the quick response!

I applied the patch but its still crashing. I downloaded Process Lasso, but would you know how to limit it to one core by chance? Ive never used this before. I'm going to keep trying to figure out how to use it but i figured Id ask to see if you knew. 

Message 319 of 1,351 (419 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Okay I limited the .exe to one core and it is still crashing on me Frown Trying to use the powershell method to see if maybe that helps

Update: Getting an error even after restarting

PS C:\Users\Morgan> echo "Launch Sims 3..."
>>
>> do{
>> $TS3 = Get-Process TS3, TS3W -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
>> }until($TS3)
>>
>> $Affinity=$TS3.ProcessorAffinity
>>
>> $TS3.ProcessorAffinity=1
>>
>> Start-Sleep -s 5
>>
>> $TS3.ProcessorAffinity=$Affinity
Launch Sims 3...
Exception setting "ProcessorAffinity": "Access is denied"
At line:9 char:1
+ $TS3.ProcessorAffinity=1
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Standard smile [], SetValueInvocationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExceptionWhenSetting

Exception setting "ProcessorAffinity": "Cannot convert null to type "System.IntPtr"."
At line:13 char:1
+ $TS3.ProcessorAffinity=$Affinity
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Standard smile [], SetValueInvocationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExceptionWhenSetting

Message 320 of 1,351 (415 Views)