Re: The Sims 3 Won't Launch

by hgeary15

Original Post

★ Apprentice

@hgeary15 Thank you I will give that a try!!

Message 221 of 1,378 (473 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@BeekyD2001 no problem, I hope I helped!

I would also recommend only installing origin instead of both apps if you have to do a complete reinstall. I had a nightmare experience with that ea beta app just trying to install and play my games.

Ended up completely getting rid of the ea app and reinstalling just origin. I haven’t had a problem with that part of running any of my games on my new laptop since. Seems to me like it could be part of your problem with getting the launcher to even open, but I could be wrong! 

Message 222 of 1,378 (463 Views)

@BeekyD2001  Your operating system is set not to show file extensions.  The entries that say "Application" under Type are executables, and they'd have the .exe extension if you could see it.

@hgeary15  TS3W.exe and Sims3LauncherW.exe are for disc and Steam installs.  The Origin verison uses TS3.exe and Sims3Launcher.exe, without the W in each case.  If you have an Origin install and clicking Sims3LauncherW brings up the launcher, it's only because that .exe is calling the correct one.  Check the Task Manager if you're curious.

By the way, if you're ever having trouble viewing an image or any other attached file on this site, you can always download it instead.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 223 of 1,378 (448 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict good to know. i do actually have all the discs but haven't used them to install any of the sims 3 on this laptop, as i don't even have a disc drive! lol. maybe it has something to do with my initial installation of the sims 3 and all the packs being on disks when i registered them with origin? and strangely enough, the launcher will not open when i try with sims3launcher, but will when i use sims3launcherw to open it, and the task manager does indeed show the sims3launcher .exe being used. just opening through origin also uses the correct .exe. weird! 

as for the image, i suspect my issues were due to me being out of the house, my phone is pretty finicky about what it chooses to load unfortunately. i can see it now looking on my laptop. 

on another note, are you aware of any threads dealing with seemingly this same issue with sims medieval? i've looked everywhere and can only find sims 3 specific solutions. i don't have any experience writing scripts so i doubt i could do this on my own. but i do wonder if a version of the powershell script would do the trick with medieval too. might have to start my own thread for that one Disappointed

Message 224 of 1,378 (423 Views)

Re: Sims 3 launcher wont start

I have tried everything in this thread and mine still wont work. dont know if this thread is active or not anymore, but i can try the DXDIAG if you want.... could someone let me know how to do that again?

Message 225 of 1,378 (448 Views)

@hgeary15  I'm not surprised at all that Sims Medieval is having the same issue since it was built on the same game engine.  For a PowerShell script, you should be able to substitute the .exe that runs Medieval for TS3 and TS3W in the existing script.  I don't know what that is since I don't own the game, but you'll see it in the Task Manager.  Just keep the format exactly the same and see whether it works.  As long as you give credit, I'm sure Miaa245 won't mind.

For the launcher .exe, it's possible that something weird happened if you installed your packs via disc and then let Origin patch the game after the fact.  I've only really messed with clean installs from Origin and Steam, so I don't really know what might be going on here.

Message 226 of 1,378 (409 Views)

@8203bd0fa1da6e890f64cc5ae0405ff1  This forum is actively monitored, and all questions get a reply.  So yes, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 227 of 1,378 (442 Views)

Here's my DXDIAG for you, thanks for replying quickly

Message 228 of 1,378 (381 Views)

@8203bd0fa1da6e890f64cc5ae0405ff1  Your issue is that Sims 3 doesn't start on your class of processor (Intel 12th-gen), so I've moved your posts to the thread for this issue.  You have a couple of options.  One is to use this PowerShell script created by another player:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-Alder-Lake-Intel-12th-gen-CPU/m-p/11...

The other is to use Process Lasso to limit the game to one CPU core while it's loading.  You'll want to close Process Lasso once you have a save loaded for better performance.

Message 229 of 1,378 (367 Views)

Thank you very much. i will give this a go now

Message 230 of 1,378 (351 Views)