Re: sims 3 doesn't start

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Highlighted

@VincentTBlake  Does it work to use Process Lasso to limit the .exe to one core?  You only need to apply it to one: TS3.exe for an Origin install, and TS3W.exe for a disc or Steam install.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 91 of 1,352 (2,769 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  Sometimes. It needs like 8 or 10 tries until it sticks and loads EIG. I cannot find a pattern when it works and when not. It also seems a bit unstable and CTD more often than I'm used to, even after changing affinity back to all processors (EIG on one processor is not really useable). 

Message 92 of 1,352 (2,733 Views)

@VincentTBlake  Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions.  I'm still hoping that EA or Intel will find a way to fix this issue, but until then, there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Message 93 of 1,352 (2,722 Views)

★★★★ Novice

No problem, thank you for replying! I just posted so that it's listed in case someone from EA checks in. Still hoping for a fix for the game and EIG... 

Message 94 of 1,352 (2,704 Views)

★ Guide

So wait, is this bug just for this type of computer? Is it bad to get a newer computer to play the sims 3 then?

Message 95 of 1,352 (2,613 Views)

@elleskyheart  The issue currently only affects this particular family of processors, to the best of our knowledge.  That doesn't mean it's necessarily "bad" to get a new computer for Sims 3—this issue could certainly be resolved at some point—but if the workaround is more than you want to deal with, you'd be better off buying a computer that had a different CPU.

To that end, any currently released AMD processor would be fine, and the 5000-series models are all massive overkill for Sims 3.  Any Intel processor that's older than 12th-gen would also be fine.  Most product pages for prebuilt computers will specify the generation of CPU, in the brief description if not in the title, but you can also find the exact model listed in the detailed specs and google its info.  And if you want to triple-check, feel free to link any computer you're considering buying for another opinion.

Message 96 of 1,352 (2,583 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@puzzlezaddictThanks so much. I admit, I'm very dense with computer tech sadly =(. But I'm grateful for any help given. I'm not thinking of getting anything yet though, but maybe down the line. I tend to go with Lenovo Legion. Is that bran of computer good? Also, is the 12th gen the newest generation? Or an old one? I'm curious. For Lenovo Legion computers it seems they don't go past Ge 8 or 7 (maybe 9)

Message 97 of 1,352 (2,575 Views)

@elleskyheart  The Legion line is usually good quality for its price point; I've recommended Legion laptops on numerous occasions.  Legions definitely go up to at least the 11th-gen Intel CPUs, and it's possible some models with 12th-gen processors are coming soon or already available.  (I didn't feel like doing a thorough search.)  Still, it should be possible to find one with an 11th-gen Intel processor for some time, at least if you're willing to shop around.  And since this generation of AMD processors hsa no issues with Sims 3, at least at the moment, you should have viable alternatives for a while.

Message 98 of 1,352 (2,566 Views)

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for the reply. I guess I'm just worried that the 12th-gen processors won't be able to play sims 3. I find it weird that they can play sims 2 apparently because I cannot get that to run on newer systems. I'm really hoping that it's not all pc with 12th gen processors. I hate to admit this, but I'm not sure EA would fix this since they are mostly focused on sims 4 (maybe even 5) I hope they do though
Message 99 of 1,352 (2,554 Views)

@elleskyheart  The issue does affect all 12th-gen Intel processors, and possibly others going forward, although it'll be a while before anything new is released.  The issue is not the computer overall, it's the processor itself.  And to be clear, these CPUs will run the game if the user applies a workaround; it's just inconvenient and/or limits performance.

The issue is not Sims 3 exactly, as far as I understand, but rather the way its DRM (digital rights management, i.e. anti-piracy) feature works.  I know of at least one other EA game that has the same issue, and perhaps other games from other publishers are affected as well, so it's always possible that this will be addressed by Intel.  Sims 2 uses a different DRM that is apparently unaffected.

Message 100 of 1,352 (2,523 Views)