Sims 3 won't launch, Windows 10

by vulpix9603

Original Post

Sims 3 won't launch, Windows 10

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi. New to the forum and at my wits end with EA support. My sims 3 won't launch from Origin. It downloads, but whenever I click on play it does nothing. The sims 3 also does not appear in task manager so it's not launching. I attached the DxDiag file the EA people had me get. I have a feeling they don't know what's wrong. I did every single troubleshooting thing. First by myself and then the EA tech made me redo it all including uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing cache, running in compatibility, running as administrator, installing a version of origin they specifically sent me (I assume it's an earlier version and it broke my sims 4), creating a new windows account which was the most pointless since I was on a new account to begin with. The computer does not have an antivirus, we use windows defender and I disabled the firewall while doing the above mentioned, so it's not the firewall. I have never played sims 3 on this computer so there was nothing to factory reset. I honestly don't know what else to do. Sims 4 and Spore running just fine from origin. I really do not know what else to check. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 2 (386 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't launch, Windows 10

@vulpix9603  I split your post into its own thread, since the other thread (and most of the information in it) is a few years old.  Also, I edited the title to avoid confusion.

Running Origin and Sims 3 is fine, and often a good idea, but running the game in compatibility mode is not—TS3 does just fine in Windows 10.  With your current and new user accounts, please make sure they contain only letters and numbers, no special characters.  And even though you've never played Sims 3 on this computer, please still trash any files you find in Documents\EA\TS3.  (If you don't have any, that's not surprising, but get rid of anything that's there.)

One thing to check is whether your computer has .NET Framework 3.5 enabled.  It's sometimes disabled by default in Windows 10.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "appwiz.cpl" without quotes.  In the File Explorer window that appears, click "Turn Windows features on and off," and you should see this:

Windows features (+.NET).png

In the first red box, make sure that .NET Framework 3.5. highlighted here in blue, looks the same for you as it does in the above screenshot.  If not, you can enable it yourself.

If this isn't the issue, please try launching Sims 3 while your computer is completely offline.  You can sign into Origin and then put it in offline mode, then turn off wifi and/or pull the ethernet cable.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (364 Views)