Re: Sims 3 will it work on my system?

by Sunflowergal227

Original Post

Sims 3 will it work on my system?

Champion (Retired)

Hello, attached is my Dxdiag. i have windows 10, a HP notebook with an intel chip was wondering what settings the sims 3 would work on.

Message 1 of 3 (398 Views)

@Sunflowergal227  The base game would probably run fine, and the earliest expansions: World Adventures, Ambitions, and Late Night.  Pets and Seasons would likely run poorly, even on low settings, and perhaps not at all, as in, you could get lag and graphics glitches, or maybe even frequent crashes.  Island Paradise and Into the Future are the next most demanding, not as bad as Pets and Seasons but still quite possibly too much for your system.  The rest of the expansions are in between; stuff packs should be fine.

If you want to play, you could install the base game and any SPs you want, then add packs one at a time and see how things go.  If you play through Origin, it's easy to enable or disable packs for testing purposes; no need to uninstall and reinstall.  As you add packs, you can see how the game runs and decide whether you're comfortable adding more content.

In-game framerates are a useful, if rough, stand-in, and of course low fps makes it harder to play.  The more your graphics chip has to process, the more time it takes to produce a frame, so you can get an idea of how much content is too much.  To see in-game fps, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes.  The number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen.

The reason I'm not giving you a clear answer is that people with your kind of hardware can have very different experiences.  Some manage to play most packs on lower settings; some can only play the base game and the early EPs.  A lot of the variation depends on how the computer is built and its basic internal settings, but there's no way to effectively predict the results.  You might find that, for example, you can play with two or three of the moderately demanding packs at a time, but not all of them; or that you can play with Seasons as long as you don't add the other demanding packs and turn off rain and snow.

As long as you make sure your laptop can properly cool itself, there's no harm in experimenting a bit.  The major issue would be excess heat, but you can monitor that with a tool like CPU-Z and back off if the temperature gets too high.  Overheating will also cause thermal throttling and hurt in-game performance, so if it's a problem, try using a cooling pad or fan.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (386 Views)

Champion (Retired)

makes sense as i had TS3 with a past laptop similar to this one and it had seasons installed and seemed to crash or something. i could just test some out just to see. Thank you!

Message 3 of 3 (377 Views)