Re: Sims 3 white lines

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

@SunflowerSimmies  Thanks for the links to the Unity forum; I'll take a look and see if I can find anything that might apply to Sims 3.  This is outside my comfort zone, so I don't know whether I'll be able to figure out what's going on.

I know about the forums.thesims.com thread; if you read through the whole thing (don't do that, really), you'll notice I posted there too.  The lack of dithering, which accounts for the color banding and pixellation, is a universal issue having to do with Windows 10 updates and recent graphics drivers.  It's not necessarily related at all to the white lines—I don't have those lines, nor do most of the people posting about the dithering issue.

The white line along the mountains in Moonlight Falls is yet another probably separate issue, one that's been around longer than the others and is also quite common, if not universal.  I think it has to do with how the world was made rather than the graphics rendering per se.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 51 of 86 (846 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Unfortunately, I have this issue as well on my desktop.

I actually returned the computer 2-3 times thinking it was faulty graphics card.

I have walked through tutorials and talked to nvidia and skytech and we can't find anything wrong.

We've literally uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them via safe mode.

We also tried different settings via the game.

And different settings through nvidia control panel.

I actually gave a tech guy remote control to my desktop and he fiddled around.And said

there is nothing that he can see actually wrong with my system.But is completely baffled.

Now that I see multiple have it, it makes me think its more of a windows 10/nvidia thing than my computer.

They're annoying for sure.

Message 52 of 86 (805 Views)

@graceymanors  I was hoping the SweetFX utility (see post 43) might make a difference for the other player, since disabling edge smoothing fixes the issue for the other recent poster here.  Does it do the same for you?  I know that disabling it makes the game look bad in other ways, but I'm curious whether the lines disappear.

I'm still baffled by this problem too, especially since relatively few players are seeing it.  I wish I had something more useful to offer.

Message 53 of 86 (791 Views)

★★★ Guide

I will try that when I get home from work.It is baffling because it seems like a problem that just recently started happening, or at least for me.

Are all these people desktop players? On my laptop, I don't have any of the issues I have on my desktop.But both the tech guy from the store I got this from, and the manufacturer

tech guy are baffled.Neither suspect a corrupted graphics card.They are blaming the game.

Message 54 of 86 (777 Views)

★★★ Guide

Edge smoothing gets rid of it for me as well.:o

Message 55 of 86 (775 Views)

@graceymanors  The original poster of this thread has a laptop with an Nvidia 1650, and the second person to post has a desktop with a 1650 Super, so... maybe it's the 16-series architecture?  The thing is, I'd expect more reports than these if all of the cards in that family were affected.  So maybe it's something about a particular subset of cards, or their memory.

The first poster has a 1650 made by Dell, or I guess a third-party supplier of laptop parts that contracts with Dell, so that might be impossible to chase down.  It looks like the second poster currently has this one:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/218030/pny-gtx1650super-4096-191126

They said their older GTX 9-series card had the same issue though.

I think you have this one, although correct me if I'm wrong:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/215605/zotac-gtx1650super-4096-191021

I don't see anything in common between them that would explain why these cards are affected and others not, but that doesn't mean much.  It would be interesting though to make lists of cards that do and don't produce this issue.

By the way, could you list a couple of base game objects where you see the white lines?  It would be helpful as a reference for any future players with the same issue.

Message 56 of 86 (757 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

My old laptop that doesn't have this issue has a 1050 ti, so maybe its something to do with the card?

I see it on all sorts of things, even on some of the sim's clothing.Turning edge scrolling off fixes it, but the blurriness is worse than dealing with the lines.

Wanna know what's even weirder? it doesn't happen in every save, out of 5 of my saves only 3 of them show it, one of them being a new save.

Some items:

Bedtastic Bed

Beautiful Budoir Bed

It also seems to effect items with darker colored patterns(blues, reds)

Screenshot-14.jpg

Bedtastic bed - edge smoothing on - might have to click on the picture to see it.

Screenshot-15.jpg

Edge smoothing off

Screenshot-16.jpg

Edge smoothing low.

Another thing I noticed is, it doesn't happen right away, it starts appearing over the course of playing.And some saves don't have while others do.

Message 57 of 86 (746 Views)

@graceymanors  That is quite strange, especially that it doesn't happen right away but shows up later.  That suggests that the issue is not simply your graphics card or its driver but also something in-game, although I guess if you didn't introduce objects that showed the problem until later, that would account for the difference.

Another possible factor is the different lighting in various worlds, and perhaps another is the season.  Have you noticed a pattern there, e.g. Sunset Valley saves are fine but ones in custom world X have the issue, or the problem shows up once the season changes to fall?  I'm just trying to figure out if there's anything at all that might explain the difference.

Message 58 of 86 (728 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I play mostly in custom worlds.But I have a save in Appaloosa plains and it happens there as well.I do have a lighting mod installed so I will remove it and take a look and see if still happens.I usually don’t edit homes with new stuff so no items usually get added and sometimes I don’t notice the issue until I exit my

game and relaunch it.

Message 59 of 86 (706 Views)

@graceymanors  I know you've spent a lot of time messing with the Nvidia Control Panel settings, but someone I've asked about this problem before still thinks this looks like an antialiasing issue that might be correctable with the right CP profile.  So please try the following and let me know whether it helps:

• Disable edge smoothing in-game
  • In the CP profile for TS3.exe (I think you have an Origin install?), set "Antialiasing - Mode" to "Override any application setting"
  • Set "Antialiasing - Setting" to 2x
  • Enable "Antialiasing - FXAA"
  • Take a screenshot of how the game looks
  • If you're not satisfied, you can set "Antialiasing - Setting" to 4x or 8x and experiment; please let me know whether it makes a difference

Even if you've tried this particular combo before, it's worth seeing how it changes the look of the game: even if it's not a perfect solution, the info is useful.

Message 60 of 86 (670 Views)