Re: Sims 3 white lines

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★ Apprentice

I am having the same problem with little white lines on objects, sims and buildings. They’re really annoying and to me basically make the game unplayable. Its not screen tearing, because I know what that looks like, that’s when the whole screen tears when moving around, I used to have that but fixed it with vsync and now my game is capped at 60fps. I am able to run my game on high settings because I have a pretty good computer, but the only thing is those stuttering white lines on objects and stuff. I am in game right now, not even moving the camera around and the chairs have these white/transparent lines across them that are constantly stuttering. I haven’t been able to find a single fix for this although I have searched for so long. My graphics are good but this issue makes the game look and feel terrible. I have tried many different in game graphics settings but the problem still persists, I tried taking out all mods & everything & it still happens, I have tried a lot so if you please have a fix to this could you also help me out? Also I used to have an older graphics card and it had this problem, I got a new graphics card and a new cpu and monitor and the problem is STILL there. Drivers are up to date. I’m so confused and sick of this issue. I saw on a post once that apparently the lines came with an update to the sims 3 and were never fixed, but when I watch youtubers play the sims 3 they don’t have the issue, I only noticed it once in one persons video and that was it. It’s very strange. 

Message 31 of 86 (1,003 Views)

★ Apprentice

I’ve literally just discovered that if you turn edge smoothing off in game it gets rid of those white lines but obviously makes the edges completely jagged and when you move the camera around the edges flicker and its not good looking at all so it’s not really a fix. I love having very smooth and crisp edges in my game. 

Message 32 of 86 (1,002 Views)
Highlighted

@SunflowerSimmies  This is why I asked for screenshots, because I wasn't sure from the description what the issue was.  By the way, screen tearing can present in a lot of ways and isn't always related to uncapped framerates.  But that's not the point.

Have you messed with the antialiasing and other settings in your graphics driver's control software, as the original poster mentioned?  It's worth trying it with in-game edge smoothing on and off—the driver might be able to do enough smoothing on its own.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 33 of 86 (992 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yeah I edit the graphics in the nvidia settings, but before I did that it looked even worse. I’ve worked out that the issue is pretty much caused by the edge smoothing in game, when I turn it off most of it goes away, however it’s still present on buildings. But when I turn edge smoothing off the edges just look so bad, even with using the nvidia antialiasing settings. 

Message 34 of 86 (987 Views)

@SunflowerSimmies  Out of curiosity, what graphics card do you have?  This issue is uncommon but not all that rare, and I wonder if certain cards are more affected than others.

Message 35 of 86 (981 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well I used to have a different graphics card, I say I however this is my boyfriends computer that he lets me play sims 3 on, but I do know quite a bit about it. I can’t remember what the old graphics card was completely, just that it was a gtx 970 or maybe 980? The game also had this problem with that graphics card. However, I bought him a new one, we now use the gtx 1650 super and still the problem is there. I also got him a new cpu & new monitor, the problem was there with the old cpu & monitor too, so it seems that upgrading did completely nothing for my game.

Message 36 of 86 (962 Views)

★ Apprentice

Also, something else that I noticed is that when I try to take a video of the issue using the in games recording option, the lines don’t show when I watch the video back. I haven’t tested this again in a while, but I will again today. 

Message 37 of 86 (959 Views)

@SunflowerSimmies  It doesn't really matter whether the old card was a 970 or 980, since they have the same basic architecture and of course would use the same driver.  Someone else with a 1650 Super has reported the same issue, which is interesting but hardly conclusive.  Did you keep the same monitor cable, or are you at least using the same type?  This other person uses an HDMI cable.

The fact that the videos don't show the issue suggests that the problem isn't in how the graphics card is rendering the game but how it's getting displayed.  So while the monitor itself may not be defective, perhaps there's something about the signal or the way it's transmitted.  This is a bit beyond my level, so I can't really offer a good explanation for why this would happen.

At any rate, it would be helpful if you could post a dxdiag.  If nothing else, being able to compare dxdiags from affected players could reveal some useful info.

Message 38 of 86 (939 Views)

★ Apprentice

I spoke with my boyfriend, as I don’t know a lot about monitors. He said the old monitor was a HDMI, this new monitor uses a display port and the cables came new with the monitor. I will send the dxdiag later today. By the way, the old monitor had a refresh rate of 60 and the new one is curved with a 165 refresh rate. I’m not sure if that information was at all useful, but I play with vsync enabled in nvidia control panel which automatically caps it at 60. However, the new monitor has Gsync and free sync, I’m not entirely sure how these work, but I still use the vsync setting in the control panel anyway. Is this still necessary? Or should I turn it off and only let Gsync do its thing? Sorry if all of this sounds stupid. 

Message 39 of 86 (921 Views)

★ Apprentice

I've attached the dxdiag file to this

Message 40 of 86 (914 Views)