Sims 3 sound not working

by hollzcrystalz

Original Post

Sims 3 sound not working

★★★ Novice

The sound works when I load the game up, up until the gameplay and after a few clicks the sound cuts off but the ambience sound remains. I’ve tried muting the ambience and it still continues. I’ve tried deleting these files:

- CASpartcache.package

- compositorcache.package

- scriptcache.package

- simCompositorcache.package

- Socialcache.package

- Deviceconfig

The problem still remains.

Message 1 of 6 (616 Views)

Re: Sims 3 sound not working

@hollzcrystalz  Clearing the caches is helpful, but try deleting options.ini as well.  That's the file that stores your in-game settings.  The deviceconfig.log is just output, a report on how Sims 3 reads your computer's hardware and your settings.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (587 Views)

★★★ Novice

I’ve tried that and it worked but obviously the visual settings went back to default which are relatively low. So I set them back to high on everything again, reloaded the game, and it glitches out again... what should I do? I don’t want to play with low graphics settings, especially since my screen is large, it makes it more obvious Frown

Message 3 of 6 (555 Views)

@hollzcrystalz  Of course you shouldn't have to play on low settings if your computer can use higher ones.  When you changed the settings, did you do so from the Main Menu and then quit to desktop before loading a save?  If not, pleae try that now.  Loading a save immediately after changing most of these settings, or changing them while a save is already loaded, can cause all sorts of issues.

If that's not the problem, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 4 of 6 (539 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sorry for the late response, yeah i did do that. I've attached the dxdiag file.

Message 5 of 6 (413 Views)

@hollzcrystalz  Don't worry about the late reply; it happens.  Your dxdiag lists a few Windowd update failures, which may or may not be related but should be addressed.  Please start by running a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, then click the button to check for updates.  If there are a number pending, it may take a few tries, with restarts in between, to get them all to run.

Restart again and test the game.  It's possible a pending driver update will have addressed the issue.  If not though, hit Windows key-X and open the Device Manager.  Expand the "Sound, video and game controllers" tab, and for each entry, click on it and click the "Update device driver" button (black and green) at the top of your screen.  Do the same in the "Audio inputs and outputs" category.  Some of the devices may not have new drivers, but judging by the dates in your dxdiag, at least one or two should.

Restart your computer again, and test.  If the issue persists, please test the game with just the speakers plugged in, then just headphones, then neither, and let me know how it goes.  I'm not saying you can't use the output of your choice, just that these are useful tests.

Message 6 of 6 (391 Views)