Re: Sims 3 runs slow on my Dell laptop

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 runs slow on my Dell laptop

★★ Novice

Normally, I run The Sims 3 on my home computer, but it's currently not working, so I want to switch to my laptop, which is a Dell Latitude D620. I have tried previously to run The Sims 3 on this laptop, but it runs slowly. If other details are needed, please let me know; I've only ever played The Sims 3 on my home computer so this is new to me. Thanks for any help in advance.

Message 1 of 7 (626 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@AnnieRusso  I'm not talking about storage, as in the method you use to store data, although 9 GB isn't enough of that either.  This is what I meant:

Processor: n/a
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3062MB RAM
Page File: 4242MB used, 1380MB available

This is memory, as in, the amount of data that a computer can process at one time.  Windows will always take a large chunk of that (~1.5 GB on my laptop, although a 32-bit version like yours may use less), leaving not nearly enough for TS3 to run.  There's no getting around the issue, beyond shutting down background applications, no way to free up more.  You might be able to add more memory (this would depend on how your laptop was made), but it still wouldn't help with the processor or graphics card.

Just because the game ran (slowly) before doesn't mean it will run now.  Hardware declines as it gets older.  More expansion packs add to the load.  Even the base game became more demanding as it was patched.  The bottom line is, this hardware is not built for TS3, and it's not going to run the game well no matter what you do.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (594 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

@AnnieRusso  It would help to see a dxdiag on this computer.  There are plenty of reasons why TS3 might run slow.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also list the packs you have installed.

Message 2 of 7 (620 Views)

★★ Novice

Alright, here's the information.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 32-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Latitude D620
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A10 (type: BIOS)
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 32bit Unicode

I don't know what information you need, but here's some of the information under Display Devices.

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 950
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device (POST)

Message 3 of 7 (616 Views)

@AnnieRusso  Normally, I'd need the whole dxdiag, not just that one small section.  (When it's done running, you can save the entire thing as a text file.)

However, it's obvious what the issue is here.  You have only 3 GB RAM, much of which will be taken up by Windows.  TS3 can use up to about 3.7 GB itself, and will try to use most of that if you have all or most expansion packs installed.  Your processor is in all likelihood fairly weak for the game, although more concerning is that the dxdiag doesn't identify it at all.  (This could just be a factor of age, but I wouldn't know without more information.)  Additionally, your graphics card is integrated and quite weak.  The most demanding expansions almost require at least a medium-strength dedicated card to run properly, as in, on higher settings and without lag.

Honestly, I'm surprised you can even play on this laptop at all.  The base game might be fine, and maybe a couple of early packs, but it's not really built to handle much more than that.  If you can get your home computer working, that would probably be a much better option.

Message 4 of 7 (604 Views)

★★ Novice

I've attempted to clean the computer out, and there really should be more room on it with all the stuff I've already removed. Currently, there is about 9 GB available, game wise I only have 1 emulator on the computer, my school program, and personal files. Like I said before, I've run Sims 3 on my laptop before, with custom content and mods, it just ran slowly, so I removed it all.

Message 5 of 7 (602 Views)

[ Edited ]

@AnnieRusso  I'm not talking about storage, as in the method you use to store data, although 9 GB isn't enough of that either.  This is what I meant:

This is memory, as in, the amount of data that a computer can process at one time.  Windows will always take a large chunk of that (~1.5 GB on my laptop, although a 32-bit version like yours may use less), leaving not nearly enough for TS3 to run.  There's no getting around the issue, beyond shutting down background applications, no way to free up more.  You might be able to add more memory (this would depend on how your laptop was made), but it still wouldn't help with the processor or graphics card.

Just because the game ran (slowly) before doesn't mean it will run now.  Hardware declines as it gets older.  More expansion packs add to the load.  Even the base game became more demanding as it was patched.  The bottom line is, this hardware is not built for TS3, and it's not going to run the game well no matter what you do.

Message 6 of 7 (595 Views)

★★ Novice

Oh, okay thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 7 (591 Views)