Sims 3 restarts my pc when I try to play.

by potatobritt

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 restarts my pc when I try to play.

★★★★★ Novice

When I open the sims 3 on my pc it comes up fine but when I push play the screen proceeds to go grey after like 5 seconds it goes black and my computer starts to start up. I have no clue what to do. Plz help?

Message 1 of 12 (527 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 restarts my pc when I try to play.

@potatobritt  Honestly, I'm not sure you'll be able to get TS3 up and running on this computer.  When it was new, it would have handled the base game fine, but almost ten years later, the hardware's performance will have slipped significantly.  Even new, this system wouldn't have been able to run TS3's most demanding packs well, if at all.

If you really want to try to play, you need to free up as much RAM for the game as possible.  This means restarting your computer immediately before launching and not running anything else, not even a browser window.  If you have a game folder in Documents, move it onto your desktop—it might contain a corrupt file that's causing or contributing to the crashes.  But it's also possible that your hardware is just not capable of meeting the demands of TS3.

Perhaps roberta591 will have more ideas to offer, but I'm just not sure that you can really play on this computer at all.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 11 of 12 (496 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Novice

I forgot to mention that when this happens restarting my laptop won’t fix it and this happened after it froze and i didn’t know how to get out so I closed the laptop...

Message 2 of 12 (520 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@potatobritt  If your computer is a pc, please post your computer's dxdiag - link - how to post your computer's dxdiag  and attach the txt file to the paper clip in the lower right of the response window.  thank you

Message 3 of 12 (500 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@roberta591 

I tried to follow the instructions but dxdiag.exe is not showing up

edit: I am seeing if there are any memory problems. It at the top of the screen says windows memory diagnostics tool. Idk if that might be similar?

Message 4 of 12 (491 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@roberta591 In settings it says I have 169gb available 

Message 5 of 12 (481 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@potatobritt  If you have Windows 10 just type dxdiag in the Cortana search box (type here to search) and you should be able to run dxdiag in the list above.

Message 6 of 12 (462 Views)

Hero

@roberta591 @potatobritt

moved this to the Sims 3 forum.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 12 (451 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@roberta591 

I don’t know if my windows is a ten but I did try typing it to cortona and it only had an option to search it :/

Message 8 of 12 (426 Views)

@potatobritt  If you type "dxdiag" into the search box, what happens?  You should see an entry labeled dxdiag.exe; click on it, and the dxdiag will run.  Here are instructions for Windows 10:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

And here are instructions for previous versions of Windows:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-PC-Only/m-p/1049584/thread-id/47181

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 9 of 12 (421 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Message 10 of 12 (412 Views)