Re: Sims 3 on laptop

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 3 on laptop

★★ Novice

Hi can anyone tell me if I can play sims 3+eps on this laptop? 

Lenovo 14w 81MQ000JUS 14" Laptop AMD A6-9220C 4GB 64GB eMMC W10P

General Information

• Powered for endless possibilities

Introducing the 14w, the laptop of choice for higher education teachers and administrators. Fueled by AMD dual-core processing and Windows 10 Pro, this 14" device has an all-school-day battery life and provides access to specialized learning apps at the Microsoft Store. For a more interactive experience, you can opt for a touchscreen.

Processor & Chipset

• Processor Manufacturer: AMD
  • Processor Type: A-Series
  • Processor Model: A6-9220C
  • Processor Speed: 2.40 GHz
  • Processor Core: Dual-core (2 Core)

Memory

• Standard Memory: 4 GB
  • Memory Technology: LPDDR4X

Storage

• Flash Memory Capacity: 64 GB

Display & Graphics

• Screen Size: 14"
  • Display Screen Type: LCD
  • Display Screen Technology: Twisted nematic (TN)
  • Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Touchscreen: No
  • Graphics Controller Manufacturer: AMD
  • Graphics Controller Model: Radeon R5 Graphics
  • Graphics Memory Technology: LPDDR4X
  • Graphics Memory Accessibility: Shared

Network & Communication

• Wireless LAN: Yes
  • Wireless LAN Standard: IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
  • Ethernet Technology: Ethernet
  • Bluetooth: Yes

Interfaces/Ports

• Network (RJ-45): Yes

Software

• Operating System Platform: Windows
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (English)
  • Operating System Architecture: 64-bit

Input Devices

• Keyboard Localization: English (US)

Battery Information

• Number of Batteries: 1
  • Number of Cells: 3-cell

Power Description

• Input Voltage: 120 V AC
  • Input Voltage: 230 V AC

Miscellaneous

• Package Contents:
  • 14w 81MQ000JUS Notebook
  • Lithium Polymer Battery
  • AC Adapter

Warranty

• Limited Warranty: 1 Year

Powered for endless possibilities Introducing the 14w, the laptop of choice for higher education teachers and administrators. Fueled by AMD® dual-core processing and Windows 10 Pro, this 14" device has an all-school-day battery life and provides access to specialized learning apps at the Microsoft Store. For a more interactive experience, you can opt for a touchscreen.

General Information
Manufacturer: Lenovo Group Limited
Manufacturer Part Number: 81MQ000JUS
Brand Name: Lenovo
Product Series: 14w
Product Model: 81MQ000JUS
Product Name: 14w 81MQ000JUS Notebook
Product Type: Notebook

Processor & Chipset
Processor Manufacturer: AMD
Processor Type: A-Series
Processor Model: A6-9220C
Processor Speed: 2.40 GHz
Processor Core: Dual-core (2 Core)

Memory
Standard Memory: 4 GB
Memory Technology: LPDDR4X

Storage
Flash Memory Capacity: 64 GB

Display & Graphics
Screen Size: 14"
Display Screen Type: LCD
Display Screen Technology: Twisted nematic (TN)
Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Touchscreen: No
Graphics Controller Manufacturer: AMD
Graphics Controller Model: Radeon R5 Graphics
Graphics Memory Technology: LPDDR4X
Graphics Memory Accessibility: Shared

Network & Communication
Wireless LAN: Yes
Wireless LAN Standard: IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Ethernet Technology: Ethernet
Bluetooth: Yes

Interfaces/Ports
Network (RJ-45): Yes

Software
Operating System Platform: Windows
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (English)
Operating System Architecture: 64-bit

Input Devices
Keyboard Localization: English (US)

Battery Information
Number of Batteries: 1
Number of Cells: 3-cell

Power Description
Input Voltage: 120 V AC, 230 V AC

Miscellaneous
Package Contents: 14w 81MQ000JUS NotebookLithium Polymer BatteryAC Adapter

Warranty

Message 1 of 4 (574 Views)

@GlazedOolong  That laptop would not run Sims 3 very well, and maybe not at all.  The processor, integrated graphics chip, and memory are all below recommendations for running all or even most expansion packs.  Performance would depend to a large extent on which packs you installed: Pets and Seasons would be out of the question, and likely Island Paradise and Into the Future as well; even the medium packs might not run well.  The base game might be fine on low settings, plus possibly an early EP or two.  (Stuff packs would be fine.)

The other issue is that you'd need to install the game on an external hard drive.  This laptop has only 64 GB storage, which isn't enough for anything more than a collection of small apps like browsers.  Windows uses up some storage, and it also needs enough free space to maneuver, typically 15 GB at the very least (and 20 when you're running a feature update.)  Even then, you'd need to watch carefully to make sure the Sims 3 game folder in Documents didn't get too large, especially if you like to keep multiple saves or your sims did some traveling.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (565 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Lol, so much for “endless possibilities.” What about this laptop? My budget is 170+230 but I’m willing to spend a little extra for a good laptop that can run sims 3

this one 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-64GB-Office-Mineral-Storage-Processor-Memory-N4000-Dual-Core-Celero...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Stream-14-ax030wm-14-Smoke-Gray-Windows-10-Home-Office-365-Personal-1-y...

Message 3 of 4 (487 Views)

@GlazedOolong  I'm sorry I missed your reply earlier; I'm not sure how that happened.  To answer your question, no, those other laptops won't work very well either.  They and the first one you posted about are all in the same category: 4 GB RAM, very weak processor, even weaker integrated graphics card.  While they might run the base game, even that isn't guaranteed.  And most expansion packs would probably be out of the question.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to find a new computer in your price range that will handle Sims 3 well.  I've seen the price of an entry-level gaming laptop drop to $500 during a sale, but that's rare and somewhat random.  And the difference between the performance of that kind of laptop and the next category down ($400, give or take) is enormous.  Even those laptops are better than the ones you're looking at though, with 8 GB RAM, a reasonably decent processor, and one or another of the higher-end integrated cards.  Still, many players with this configuration have trouble running the most demanding EPs, although the base game and some earlier packs are usually fine.

For $230, you might be able to find something used on Ebay, if you're willing to go that route.  (I could look as well.)  Of course there's a risk involved, and I don't want to tell you that you'd get what you were expecting.  Still, sellers with good ratings and/or those that accept returns could be a decent bet.  Let me know if you're interested.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (453 Views)