Re: Sims 3 on Windows 10

by roberta591

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 on Windows 10

★ Novice

So I wanted to play Sims on my own laptop as the desktop computer was getting sold.

I also just wanted to transfer all my info across too, not start from scratch. So after scouring the web, I installed TS3 onto my laptop and copied some files over from my old laptop. I boot up the game,and the Launcher comes up... and the 'Welcome' screen is blank... so i cant log in or anything. I ignore that for the moment and click the Play button....and it goes full screen - i dont want that so I exit that though options and then... it appears as a screen about 3 inches diagonally. So i fiddle with the resolution though the Options and not a single one helps, it either goes smaller, or larger, yes, but the menu doesnt change size, its still the size it started with even if the background has gotten bigger.

So I start from scratch. No old files nothing. Still the same problem. So I ignore that for the second and see if there is anything else wrong. I copy the files over again, following instructions to the keystroke, but none of my sims or households appear... So I uninstall AGAIN, reinstall, and copy every. single. file. over to it. Still nothing!

I've also attempted to update the game - as it is asking for it. I click the button... and it closes the game. And nothing else happens. Ugh.

Basically I'm really sad now and have no clue what to do. I really dont want to start from the begining - I was very attached to my sims and houses and I'm sure I spent an unhealthy amount of time on it over the years - but it seems like i might not even be able to play anyway with the size and resolution acting up too....

Please help! I'm desperately craving Sims!

Thanks

(PS ideally no mods too - im a bit of a noob)

Message 1 of 5 (580 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero (Retired)

@MissKateDewhurst  Do you have an Origin account? Is the base game in Origin my game library? Once the game is in Origin you can get the digital download which would be a faster install or you can get the version 1.67 manual super patch and run it. Origin will then patch the game to version 1.69. The software on the disc version is dated and very old. The disc version installs DRM that is no longer supported by Windows and OS X. The present DRM is Origin You need to get the game to version 1.69.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (634 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@MissKateDewhurst  Do you have an Origin account? Is the base game in Origin my game library? Once the game is in Origin you can get the digital download which would be a faster install or you can get the version 1.67 manual super patch and run it. Origin will then patch the game to version 1.69. The software on the disc version is dated and very old. The disc version installs DRM that is no longer supported by Windows and OS X. The present DRM is Origin You need to get the game to version 1.69.

Message 2 of 5 (635 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Ah! You're the best!
So it took FOREVER to download but when it finally did, all my households and everything were there too!
Only problem is still the wacky miniature view. Interesting to note though, Origin has the same problem with its task bar - everything else seems fine but thats because its actually zoomed to 200%... any ideas?

Message 3 of 5 (553 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Wait, I think I may have an idea...

I just fiddled with my computer settings.... and found this.

Everything is zoomed to 250%... when I set it to 100% it had the same effect as what is happening to TS3. Will I just have to change my computer settings? Because it looks like it isnt detecting it and automatically scaling it...

EDIT: Yeah... this is it... how frustrating....

Message 4 of 5 (550 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@MissKateDewhurst  Adjusting the resolution is a way of getting the screen the way you like. As you change the resolution you may notice that some resolutions work better then others. One reason is there is a native resolution for every display. This resolution will give the least distortion. Moving away from the native resolution introduces distortion in the pixels. This is a very simple explanation and ultimately it comes down to what works for you.

Message 5 of 5 (543 Views)