Re: Sims 3 not launching on new windows 10 laptop

by shikaritani

Original Post

★★ Novice

okay, so I've followed and completed all the steps and tried to launch the game. I got a pop up window after I pressed play, asking me too log into my EA account to authenticate my game or something like that. I typed in my info, however in a awful turn of events my computer disconnected form the wifi in this that exact moment so the log in failed. Once I reconnected I tried again but the window never popped up, and I find myself in the same origin, launcher cycle I've always been in. ugggh

Message 11 of 25 (1,058 Views)

@marinamennear  Please move the enitre Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop and try playing again.  If that doesn't work, switch to a different admin account again.

If that doesn't help either, try using a different wifi connection, for example setting up your phone as a local hotspot.  Make sure it's using data, not your home wifi.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 25 (1,043 Views)

★★ Novice

I’m sad to report that these solutions didn’t work either Frown 

Message 13 of 25 (997 Views)

@marinamennear  It's worth contacting EA customer support to make sure that there's nothing wrong with your account.  For example, some people find their base game product keys blocked or deactivated; while this presents a bit differently than what you've described, it's the kind of issue you'd never be able to diagnose from your end.  So please ask about the status of the game and your packs, as well as whether there's any other block on your account.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

If there's nothing wrong on the EA end, we can keep troubleshooting, but that would of course be a waste of time if there was something about your account preventing you from playing.

Message 14 of 25 (985 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you, a friend from work mentioned this as well when I told her about this. Hopefully this will be the solution. I'll let you know. Thanks again for all your help.

Message 15 of 25 (914 Views)

★★ Novice

Alright, so on august 12th I spent a little more than 2, in-consecutive hours, on the phone with EA. It's not smart on my part to wait this long to reply, but this is so frustrating that I left it for a couple weeks, I'll try to remember everything we did. On the first phone call he downloaded a new version of the sims 3 onto my origin account, he was sure this was the solution, but, naturally with my luck it wasn't. Second phone call we were looking into my graphics cards, I believe I turned off one the two that came if my laptop off, and tried launching it again, did't work. Third phone call we downloaded a bunch of files called "VC_redistx64" and "VCresdist_x84" and installed those, but it didn't launch, and at that point I left it and didn't call back a forth time, because, oh my god this is annoying. The technical support guy on the third call said something like, he's sure it's some program or setting on my laptop is preventing the game from launching. I'm really at a loss though at what could be preventing it from launching considering I've tweaked some much so far. 

Message 16 of 25 (821 Views)

@marinamennear  Since you first posted, two other users with Acer laptops have reported the same issue.  More specifically, your three laptops all have the same processor and the same graphics driver, which strongly suggests that the driver itself is the issue.  Unfortunately, Acer doesn't provide a newer driver at this time.  But you can force the install of the newest Intel driver for your graphics chip.  I explained how to do it for another user here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/sims-3-not-launching-on-windows-10-acer-notebook/m-p/1...

This user didn't get back to me, so I have no idea whether they tried the new driver, let alone whether it worked.  The driver itself is compatible; it's just that the driver provided by Acer is tailored to your particular computer as opposed to being more generic.  Many laptop manufacturers block users from installing their own drivers for this very reason.  But that doesn't mean it won't work, just that it's best not to replace the manufacturer's driver unless you have a very specific reason for doing so.

Message 17 of 25 (791 Views)

★ Novice
@marinamennear were you ever able to solve this issue? I am facing the same thing and can't find a solution anywhere Frown
Message 18 of 25 (547 Views)

@miniyo9914  Try reinstalling DirectX 9, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/SIMS-3-GAME-WON-T-LAUNCH-WINDOWS-10/m-p/10700883#M2477...

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 19 of 25 (543 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same exact problem at the moment, tried reinstalling DirectX and did all the other things mentioned... any chance you could help me out? nothing seems to work Frown

Message 20 of 25 (505 Views)