Re: Sims 3 launcher running in tray while playing.

by StuntPony

Original Post

★★ Pro

I will definitely be keeping an eye on the launcher issue. I played for a good while today and every time I had to open the launcher to pop out of game, I cringed a little, but all seems good.

I can't give extra XP points, so I just went ahead and gave everyone points in this thread!!

Message 31 of 36 (1,648 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Year 2020, tried deleting the logs, didn't work for long(they reappeared), tried to forbid reading - didn't work, forbidden reading on all three levels - works perfectly, no errors, no tray running, no crashes.

Message 32 of 36 (1,175 Views)

★★★ Novice

What do you mean, "all three levels"? I'm getting the upload bug and the installer isn't working either. It will get to the 50% mark and then, it disappears.

Message 33 of 36 (951 Views)

@Babydoll3133  It sounds like you might have a different issue than the one described in this thread.  (This error has nothing to do with manual uploads failing, at least not under normal circumstances, nor does it affect the process of installing Sims3Packs.)  Please describe what you're trying to do in a little more detail, and if you see an error message, post a screenshot.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 34 of 36 (942 Views)

★★★ Novice

I was having the uploads still running thing when trying to close the launcher. 

I have since found the problem - sort of. Not sure what what thing in my folder kept me from installing, but once I moved the entire Sims 3 folder and let it create a new one, the installs work again. And as a plus, the "upload" error stopped as well.

I'll probably do the 50/50 test to find the offending object. LOL

But thank you for your reply.

Message 35 of 36 (937 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

March 2022: the problem still exists.

However, the solution proposed by @puzzlezaddict holds. Windows 10 fully updated and running thru Steam.

What puzzled me (no pun intended) was that in my win10 setup, i saw no tray icon nor a process still running (altho i didnt do a exhaustive search) so I just tried the solution and it worked.

To whoever reads this in the future and to clarify the process:

Go to your documents folder and search in Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ for the files Sims3Logs.xml and Sims3LauncherLogFile.log and then right click > properties > Security (second tab) > select the Admin Group. Then click on Edit and check the Read box in the Deny column and then Accept. Windows might warn you about users sharing the same group being denied the action too, but we have to deal with ti. Do this for each of the two files individually.

After that, the game should close with no trouble. You will know you did it right if you try to open the Sims3LauncherLogFile.log in notepad: permission should be denied.

Message 36 of 36 (733 Views)