Re: Sims 3 launcher running in tray while playing.

by misstressfox

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 launcher running in tray while playing.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Just yesterday, every time I start the sims 3 launcher, it tells my it's "running in the tray" when I push play to start the game. It's never done this before and when I go to stop it, It gives me a message that says something like "this will end the uploading process are you sure you want to end ?" or something close to that. Like I said it just started yesterday and has never done this before. What is it uploading and how do I stop it from running while I play the game?

Message 1 of 36 (3,322 Views)

Accepted Solution

@172e3cda00349872  @TrexterZiam  How about an even better workaround?

But first, a disclaimer:  This approach worked well for me—I could login, load, and save, with no apparent ill effects.  However, I never tried to download or install any store or custom content, nor did I export or upload anything of my own.  I also tested on a throwaway game folder, and I suggest that anyone else trying this out do the same, or at the very least keep a backup of your existing game folder until you're satisfied with the results.

Again, the issues with the launcher running in the tray and claiming to be uploading when closed out can both be remedied by removing the Sims3Logs file from the TS3 game folder in Documents.  (As @172e3cda00349872  has mentioned, the Sims3LauncherLogFile may also be involved, although this has not been the case for me in particular.)  But even better, the files' properties can be changed in a way that disallows whatever nonsense has been going on with the launcher.  The path is:

Right-click on the affected file, Properties > Security (second tab) > Edit; highlight "Admin" and check the box to deny "read"

This was enough to make the launcher behave as normal on my Windows 10 setup, but if it's necessary to go further, checking all the "deny" boxes for Admin, System, and <username> appears to have no negative effects on the game.  And this change can be undone just as easily, simply by unchecking the boxes again.

Special thanks to @igazor  for his insight.  I don't want to make him uncomfortable by gushing all over this thread, so I'll just say that we all know he's wonderful.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 28 of 36 (19,340 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Novice

Just checked again. The message it gives me is "The uploading process is running. Do you want to cancel this process and exit the application?" Anyone know what  this means?

Message 2 of 36 (3,308 Views)

@misstressfox  I'm not sure precisely what's going on with your game.  Can you play despite this message?  What happens when you try a clean folder?  Drag your existing TS3 game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, and new one will spawn when you launch the game again.

It would also help to know the specs of your system, as well as what kind of install (Origin, Steam, disc) you have.

Message 3 of 36 (3,296 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yes I can still play the game. The launcher is just still running in the background. I've never had it keep running before yesterday. I also find that if I turn off my game after playing, I then have to go and turn of the launcher as well. My install is through Origin. I will try with a clean folder and see what happens.

Message 4 of 36 (3,288 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Just tried and it doesn't seem to happen with a new folder.

Message 5 of 36 (3,282 Views)

@misstressfox  If I were in your position, I'd suspect that the contents of my exports folder was the culprit, or perhaps even the screenshots or recorded videos.  In my (Steam) install, the launcher seems to insist on listing every screenshot under uploads, even though I've never tried to upload anything.  Of course, in a clean folder, you'd have none of that content.  But you could test it out by moving one subfolder at a time from your old game folder into your new one to see whether the error reappears.  If it doesn't, maybe there was just something wrong with your old folder.  Spawning a clean folder and moving your existing content over is never a bad thing.

Message 6 of 36 (3,274 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks I will try this. What folders would I have to move over? I would probably only like to keep my saves and the stuff from the store.

Message 7 of 36 (3,268 Views)

[ Edited ]

@misstressfox  The short answer is that your saves are in the Saves folder (obviously) and your store content is bundled in .ebc files in DCCache.  For premium store content to work, you would also need to move over your ccmerged.package file in DCBackup.  For a more in-depth explanation, here's a very helpful post.  The only file it doesn't list is userPresets.package, which will have any saved recolors you've saved in CAS or CASt.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16322438#Comment_16322438

Message 8 of 36 (3,262 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank for your help. Just put my saves in to the new folder and its happening again. I guess its something wrong with one of my save files. I'll just have to delete my saves for now and see if it happens again in the future. Lucky I had just started and can easily restart.

Message 9 of 36 (3,256 Views)

@misstressfox  Since you can still play, there might not be anything actually wrong with your saves.  The other thing I would try is playing offline—you never have to login at the launcher level unless you're uploading content, and you don't need to login at the Main Menu unless you want the dubious pleasure of the in-game shopping experience or the occasional badge.  You can also put Origin into offline mode after signing in.  I play almost exclusively offline, with my laptop's wifi turned off as well.

Of course, the other thing you could do is wait and see if anyone else has thoughts on this error.  I've never heard of it myself until now, but others may have more insight.

Message 10 of 36 (3,232 Views)