Sims 3 keeps crashing (Solved)

by Pluviophist

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 keeps crashing (Solved)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi, I have been playing the sims 3 for about 5 years now, and I have never had a problem like this before. I got a new computer about a year ago and have been playing the sims 3 on it for almost a year now with no problems except for a little bit of lag. These are my specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

I have my DxDiag in a notepad on my desktop as well but there is a LOT of text and I'm not sure which information would be exactly useful. If anyone needs any of that information I have that as well.

I started playing the game a few days ago after not having played for a while, loaded up a new world save with a new family, and after a few minutes of playing I noticed a glitch in my game. I sent my sim to get a job at the grocery store and the entire UI was completely black. After this happened, my game crashed. I figured there might be some corrupt CC in my packages, so I decided to do a clean factory reset on my game. I installed the CUSTARD Sims3 Pack Cleaner ([Edited by EA_Mai: @Pluviophist this kind of links to downloads are not allowed for security reasons]) and discovered I did in fact have some corrupt CC files in my game. I deleted those, then merged all my package files together again (which I have done before), and proceeded with the factory reset. I started my game up again, no package files or CC installed, only base game and expansion packs. My lag was completely gone, however after a few minutes of playing again, the glitch happened again. This time it happened while in build mode (I loaded up bridgeport and selected a sim who was already living there to test out the smoothness of my game). The build mode UI turned black after a few seconds of using it, then my game crashed once again.

I've looked everywhere online and have tried every solution, and nothing has worked so far. Now, my game won't even load completely, it crashes at the menu screen while selecting a world to play in. I never get an error ("The Sims 3 has stopped working"), it just exits to desktop. I decided to completely uninstall my games and expansions to see if that would fix it. I now only have the base game installed on my computer and have not been using any CC and it is continuing to freeze and crash at the menu screen.

I have no idea what to do about this problem and I'm at a loss for solutions. I recently installed the GeForce Shadowplay experience on my computer and I was wondering if anyone has had problems with that crashing their game before as well, but I'm not sure. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated and I will post any info needed to help me solve this problem. Thank you

Message 1 of 3 (772 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 keeps crashing

@Pluviophist I don't know anything about GeForce Shadowplay, but it's entirely possible that it's causing all of your issues.  Definitely try disabling it first, before moving on to the other interventions.

If that doesn't help, I would like to see that dxdiag, as would anyone else who comes along.  You can attach the file to a post here using the Browse button.  The info in there will help eliminate certain causes of your issues; otherwise, it's really kind of a guessing game until something works.

In the meantime, I hope you did a clean uninstall before reinstalling the base game.  If not, it's a good idea to uninstall and clean the registry, either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner, just to keep the troubleshooting simple.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3/

It's also a good idea to test the game in a well-made world like Sunset Valley, Riverview, or Twinbrook.  Bridgeport does have a few issues with elevators and NPC rooms in the apartment buildings, although those alone shouldn't be causing the UI error.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (758 Views)

All Replies

@Pluviophist I don't know anything about GeForce Shadowplay, but it's entirely possible that it's causing all of your issues.  Definitely try disabling it first, before moving on to the other interventions.

If that doesn't help, I would like to see that dxdiag, as would anyone else who comes along.  You can attach the file to a post here using the Browse button.  The info in there will help eliminate certain causes of your issues; otherwise, it's really kind of a guessing game until something works.

In the meantime, I hope you did a clean uninstall before reinstalling the base game.  If not, it's a good idea to uninstall and clean the registry, either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner, just to keep the troubleshooting simple.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3/

It's also a good idea to test the game in a well-made world like Sunset Valley, Riverview, or Twinbrook.  Bridgeport does have a few issues with elevators and NPC rooms in the apartment buildings, although those alone shouldn't be causing the UI error.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (759 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much!! Cleaning the registry seemed to have worked. I tried uninstalling GeForce and it didn't fix it, but after going through the registry I found the problem. Just reinstalled my game and all my expansions and it seems to be working just fine again. Thanks for your help Standard smile

Message 3 of 3 (731 Views)