Sims 3 does not launch

by Galactus_of_Taa

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 does not launch

★★★ Novice

I am unable to launch the Sims 3. When I press play in the Origin Library, Origin briefly minimizes like normal, then pops back up as if I quit the game. By watching the task manager, either The Sims 3 never runs at all or does but so briefly I can't catch it. If I try running it from the executable without first logging into Origin, it tries to connect for a moment, then completely stops. There is no error message, it's like it tries to open the launcher but nothing happens.

This problem started after I had an old Origin account merged with the one I actually use. I had not installed any new software or made any changes to my PC between when the game worked and when it stopped working, which makes the merge the most likely culprit for the problem. I have communicated with EA technical support twice and they have tried to help, but the problem still persists. I wanted to see if there was anything else I could try.

List of everything I've tried:

-Repaired the Sims 3 from Origin
-Updated the Sims 3 from Origin
-Disabled in-game Origin overlay
-Made sure Origin is updated
-Cleared Origin caches
-Cleared Sims 3 caches

-Reinstalled the Sims 3
-Removed Sims 3 folders and then attempted to run the Sims 3
-Run Origin as Administrator
-Run the Sims 3 as Administrator
-Run the Sims 3 with recommended compatibility settings
-Run the Sims 3 in offline mod
-Run the Sims 3 from Sims3Launcher.exe
-Run the Sims 3 from TS3.exe
-Disabled Anitvirus
-Uninstalled Avast Antivirus 
-Updated graphics card
-Updated windows 10, including all optional updates
-Repaired NetFx things on Windows 10

-Created a second administrator user account on PC and installed Origin and Sims 3 on there
-Clean/Safe Boot of my PC (from first time I talked to EA help)
-Clear temp files using CCleaner (from first time I talked to EA help) 
-Fix registry using CCleaner (from first time I talked to EA help)

-Game replaced (EA tech support removed the old one and granted new one, as they explained it), waited 5 hours, uninstalled Sims 3 from my PC, ran CCleaner, reinstalled the Sims 3, ran CCleaner again (process from the second time I talked to EA help, they instructed to wait a while to make sure they finished doing whatever it is they had to do and to do the CCleaner after uninstalling and installing the game)

-Installed Origin and the Sims 3 on a different computer

None of these have had the slightest effect on the problem. It happens every time I try to launch the game, exactly the same as it was before, on my computer, on a second account, and on a different computer. Since it persists on a different computer, I would think its an issue with Origin, but since the game was replaced on Origin, I have no idea why.

Message 1 of 6 (1,206 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 does not launch

@Galactus_of_Taa  I think you're correct that the merge is the culprit.  A number of people have been similarly affected.  The issue is that the base game product key doesn't get moved over, or it gets blocked or deactivated.  I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the result is that your account does not currently have a valid and active base game key, so Origin blocks you from playing.

The only solution is to go to support, again, and ask someone to look into the status of the base game product key.  If the support rep doesn't understand what you're asking, you can try linking them these two post that confirm this is an issue and how to fix it:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-at-all/m-p/8574411#M238855

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-does-not-launch-just-minimizes-Origin-for-a-sec...

If you don't get anywhere with support, please let me know; I'll try to find out if there's some other way to approach the conversation.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (1,174 Views)

All Replies

@Galactus_of_Taa  I think you're correct that the merge is the culprit.  A number of people have been similarly affected.  The issue is that the base game product key doesn't get moved over, or it gets blocked or deactivated.  I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the result is that your account does not currently have a valid and active base game key, so Origin blocks you from playing.

The only solution is to go to support, again, and ask someone to look into the status of the base game product key.  If the support rep doesn't understand what you're asking, you can try linking them these two post that confirm this is an issue and how to fix it:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-won-t-open-at-all/m-p/8574411#M238855

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-does-not-launch-just-minimizes-Origin-for-a-sec...

If you don't get anywhere with support, please let me know; I'll try to find out if there's some other way to approach the conversation.

Message 2 of 6 (1,175 Views)

★★★ Novice

I talked to five people with support today, but I have not had any success in fixing the problem. I tried some more fixes based on graphics card updates and similar, and they said they would elevate to another team that would email me. I am waiting to see what comes of that currently. I'm not sure if they looked at the base game product key, though one did ask what mine was. I think I was making progress with that one time, but then my internet died and I was disconnected from the chat, unfortunately.

Message 3 of 6 (1,159 Views)

@Galactus_of_Taa  I'm sorry you're having so much trouble.  I'll try to find out if there's a way to make this process more smooth for you, but it might take a couple days.

Message 4 of 6 (1,138 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for your help. I will keep trying to resolve it.

Update:

Today I got an e-mail from EA support saying that they completely removed the game from my account and then granted it again and to see if it was fixed. This sounded like something they tried before, but I guess it wasn't the same, because now the game will launch. I am missing four stuff packs from the launcher, which are in my Origin library and installed to my computer, which is probably also related to the account merge since those were the ones on the other account, but that's another issue to resolve. I'm very happy that my game is playable again.

Message 5 of 6 (1,119 Views)

@Galactus_of_Taa  I'm glad the first issue is resolved, at least.  You may need to uninstall those packs, remove any related entries in your computer's registry (the free version of Piriform's CCleaner works great), and redownload them.

Message 6 of 6 (1,081 Views)