Re: Sims 3 crashing repeatedly

by Peaches6071

Original Post

Sims 3 crashing repeatedly

★ Novice

After years of playing the sims 3, with nearly all expansion packs enabled, with no faults the entire time, I upgraded to a new laptop.

Since then, I've encountered a bug which shuts down the instance I'm playing with no error screen or crash report. It usually occurs ~15 minutes into a build, no matter the location or items I use.  I've attempted uninstalling and reinstalling but that hasn't worked, and old fixes don't seem to work either. I'd appreciate any ideas anyone has, thanks!

Dxdiag information:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 81FB
BIOS: 7WCN33WW (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7066MB RAM
Page File: 5811MB used, 3238MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Mobile Graphics
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x15DD)

Message 1 of 9 (1,042 Views)

@Peaches6071  I'd like to see the whole dxdiag, not just the first few lines.  After you run it, you can save the entire thing as a text document and then attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 9 (1,029 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

File's attached, thank you in advance!

Message 3 of 9 (977 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Peaches6071  There are a number of errors in your dxdiag, some of which may not be related to Sims 3.  One clearly is though: the MSVCR80.dll.  This is part of a VC++ runtime library, specifically the 2005 version.  Sims 3 uses this resource, and if it's corrupt, it can and will crash the game.

The best thing to do is to uninstall your existing 2005 VC++ and install a new one from Microsoft.  Click the Windows logo in the lower left corner of your screen, then select Settings > Apps, and scroll down to Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable.  Uninstall it, then download and install the new version here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=3387

Sims 3 uses the x86 version, as in 32-bit, so I don't think there's any reason to install the x64 version.

If this doesn't help, let me know, and I'll look into the other Windows errors.

Message 4 of 9 (971 Views)

★ Novice

Hi I tried this, but I'm still having the same issues. Do you have any other ideas for me to try please?

Message 5 of 9 (883 Views)

@Peaches6071  Please run a new dxdiag, so I can see if anything has changed, e.g. new errors, new drivers, etc.

Message 6 of 9 (862 Views)

★ Novice

Hi, thanks again for taking the time to look through this! I've attached the new dxdiag on here!

Message 7 of 9 (840 Views)

@Peaches6071  The second dxdiag lists a number of errors related to OneDrive.  Please try disabling it, and let me know how it goes.

If that doesn't help, try updating your graphics card driver.  You can find the download on Lenovo's site here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/330s-15arr/81fb/download...

You want the driver under "Display and Video Graphics."

Message 8 of 9 (832 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Peaches6071   The page file seems to be small. This is because the size of the page file is determined on the size of the system device when the operating system is installed. As you only have a 256Gb ssd system device and no data drive, I think you are running out of free space and a 256Gb system device for a gaming system is not large enough. IMO you will continue to have issues. My recommendation is a minimum of 500Gb (preferably larger). The price of ssds has continued to drop to a point where a 256Gb device should not even be considered for a gaming machine.

Message 9 of 9 (811 Views)