Sims 3 crashing on new laptop with windows 10

by Catycat4593

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 crashing on new laptop with windows 10

★ Novice

i just got a new dell Inspiron 15. 5000 series laptop with windows 10, how do i get sims 3 to play on it? My graphics card is Intel(R) HD 520 so it doesn't support the nvidia or reodon upgrades. Just downloaded Activex's newest version. I got it through the steam app, but they referred me to the games creators to solve the problem. It crashes while i'm building a house, I haven't tried to do anything else. All my settings are set to the lowest quality, its in windowed setting. I just don't know what to do next. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 4 (1,207 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 crashing on new laptop with windows 10

Hero (Retired)

@Catycat4593  Your computer is just below the required minimum specs to play this game. The Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U is below the minimum 2.4Ghz clock required to play this game and this cpu does not have any turbo or boost so the 2.3Ghz this cpu runs at is all you get. This laptop uses the integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 which does not have any "real" dedicated video memory - it uses memory borrowed from main memory. The resolution of 1366 x 768 is the highest resolution with out adding more hardware to the design thus increasing cost. The Intel HD Graphics 520 is not in the games graphics database and may not be configured by the game correctly. The sims 4 game considers this graphics chip medium. I have used this wiki to add graphics cards to sims 3 - link - adding unknown graphics to Sims 3  This takes a little thinking as you have to edit two .sgr files. This may fix the crashing issue but Intel graphics chips are not known to be gamer friendly.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (1,243 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@Catycat4593  Please post your computer's dxdiag - link - how to post your computer's dxdiag  thank you

Message 2 of 4 (1,187 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@roberta591Sorry I submitted twice, the send button wasn't working so I made a new question and that one submitted to.

Message 3 of 4 (1,174 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Catycat4593  Your computer is just below the required minimum specs to play this game. The Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U is below the minimum 2.4Ghz clock required to play this game and this cpu does not have any turbo or boost so the 2.3Ghz this cpu runs at is all you get. This laptop uses the integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 which does not have any "real" dedicated video memory - it uses memory borrowed from main memory. The resolution of 1366 x 768 is the highest resolution with out adding more hardware to the design thus increasing cost. The Intel HD Graphics 520 is not in the games graphics database and may not be configured by the game correctly. The sims 4 game considers this graphics chip medium. I have used this wiki to add graphics cards to sims 3 - link - adding unknown graphics to Sims 3  This takes a little thinking as you have to edit two .sgr files. This may fix the crashing issue but Intel graphics chips are not known to be gamer friendly.

Message 4 of 4 (1,244 Views)