Re: Sims 3 crashes on startup

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 3 crashes on startup

★★★★★ Novice

Hi guys,

so recenty i had an accidental hard reset of my game (I tried disabling my onedrive from backing up my game, and in doing so threw my whole game into my bin). Now, i havent been able to get a few seconds into starting up the sims 3 before it crashes immediately. I would love any feedback - please note that i have already tried updating and repairing the game, and still nothing is working.

Thank you in advance!

here are my pc specs:

Device name DESKTOP-1H35DQR
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 12.0 GB (11.9 GB usable)
Device ID 39E2F6DF-7682-4FE3-A73E-95D00AFFF983
Product ID 00325-96319-87225-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touch points

Message 1 of 15 (2,458 Views)

@SummerSloane  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also list the default location of Documents.  Open a File Explorer window, right-click on Documents in the left panel, select Properties > Location, and list the full file path.  You can write [username] instead of your actual username if you want, but let me know if you see the wrong name.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 15 (2,444 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

C:\Users\summe\OneDrive\Documents

above is the file path

Message 3 of 15 (2,425 Views)

@SummerSloane  That's probably the issue: your Documents folder is in OneDrive by default.  With OneDrive disabled, the game can't write to Documents and therefore crashes.  Try changing the location of the Documents directory to C:\Users\summe\Documents, with no OneDrive in the file path.  Here's how:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

Then restart your computer and try to play.

If this doesn't help, I do need to see a dxdiag.

Message 4 of 15 (2,398 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi,

I just disabled OneDrive, but my game still crashes. How do i show you my dxdiag?

Message 5 of 15 (2,372 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Sorry for the spam of messages, but here is my dxdiag

Message 6 of 15 (2,370 Views)

@SummerSloane  Please try playing in a new admin Windows account.  Make it a local account, as in, don't sign into Microsoft, and don't sync with any other services you normally use.  You'll be able to sign into your existing Origin account and shouldn't need to redownload anything, but any user content (saves, mods, etc.) won't be available.  That can be addressed later, if necessary, but the first step is just to test.

Message 7 of 15 (2,358 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict That worked! Now what is the next step?
Message 8 of 15 (2,318 Views)

@SummerSloane  That's great news: it means there's nothing about your laptop itself that should prevent you from playing.  The question is how to get your main user account to cooperate.

I still think OneDrive may be the issue here.  You mentioned you disabled it, but did you also change the location of the Documents directory as described in the article I linked?  (Please check the file location again if you're not sure.)  Each user account's Documents has its own variables, so creating a new account got around any issues with your current one.  There are other reasons a Documents folder might be borked, and also other reasons a user account might have issues that have nothing to do with Documents, but this is still the place to start.

If Documents is in the correct location in your main user account (not the new one you created), please use that guide I linked to move it to a different location entirely, just as a test.  You can always move it back later.  For now though, create a folder somewhere else on your computer, make a Documents folder inside that, and use the guide's instructions to make that the default location of Documents.

By the way, if you get tired of troubleshooting, you can always just use the new Windows account you created.  For any files you want to transfer between accounts, drop them in C:\Users\Shared, which is accessible from either account.

Message 9 of 15 (2,310 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict So I needed up transferring my mods over to the new User, and it immediately crashed again. What is confusing is that these are the exact same mods I had before the soft reset, and I haven’t downloaded any new mods. Would copying and pasting, or moving mods from one folder to another corrupt the files in some way? Should I do a 50/50?
Message 10 of 15 (2,278 Views)