Re: Sims 3 With New Computer

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 3 With New Computer

★ Novice

I've had sims 3 on my laptop for years now and have many expansion packs. My laptop has become very slow and I am in need of a new one. Can i transfer both the sims 3 game and the expansions across through origin when i get a new laptop or can i only use the game on this laptop? Also, will my custom content all uninstall when I play it on the new laptop??

Message 1 of 2 (321 Views)

Re: Sims 3 With New Computer

[ Edited ]

@ciarasimsx  I've moved your post to the Sims 3 PC tech section.

If the base game and expansion packs are registered in Origin, you'll be able to download everything, for free, onto your new computer.  If you have discs, you can probably use them to install on the new computer too, provided you can find an external disk drive.  (Most new laptops don't have an internal disk drive.)  Or you can register your content in Origin now, if you've never done so before.

Custom content is stored in the Sims 3 user data folder (the one in Documents\Electronic Arts), along with mods, saves, saved households and sims, etc.  The contents of this folder can mostly be transferred from one computer to another without any issues.  The main exception is store content, which sometimes has to be reinstalled.  The best practice is to launch the game once on the new computer to make sure everything works, then copy the files you want to preserve to their respective folders.

If you'd like help with this process once you have your new computer, just ask.  And if you'd like an opinion on how that new computer might run Sims 3, or even options to consider, I'd be happy to help.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (284 Views)