Re: Sims 3 Visual Problems

by eleanxr_dunkin

Original Post

Sims 3 Visual Problems

★★★★★ Novice

(All of my sims 3 expansions and base game are disks). I was playing the sims 3 and everything was working fine. Then I downloaded the generations expansion, and this happened on the town screen. So far that's the only visual problem I'm experiencing. I'm running windows 10 on a gaming pc. I don't think I have a graphics card, but if anyone needs any specs to help, I can post them. The game isn't unplayable, it's just quite annoying. I'd be really grateful if anyone could help, because I can't find anything online.

Message 1 of 15 (812 Views)

@eleanxr_dunkin  Did you happen to change any graphics settings in-game while a save was loaded, or did you load a save after changing some settings without first quitting to desktop?  That's one cause of the white/gray screen.  If you're not sure, you can go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 and remove options.ini.  The game will spawn a new copy of the file with default settings, which you can change back later if you want; but first load a save and see how it looks.

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, open the file labeled config.log, copy the first 40 lines or so (stop when you get to Options), and paste them into a post here.  You can delete your user and machine names (about 25 lines down), but nothing else in that file is specific to you or your computer.  Please use a spoiler tag on the text.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 15 (796 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi,  thanks for your answer, I'm just trying what you suggested but I can't find a file called config.log?

Message 3 of 15 (784 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Also, deleting options didn't work, so here is the dxdiag.

Message 4 of 15 (775 Views)

@eleanxr_dunkin  That's strange that there wouldn't be a config file (you might not see the .log at the end)—it's in the same place as options.  I've heard of a blank one before though.

At any rate, move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and launch the game, which will create a new folder.  Quit at the Main Menu (don't change anything), and look for the config file again.  If it's not there, run the Super Patch (under Cumulative Base Game Super Patcher), trash the new Sims 3 folder that was created, and repeat.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...

If that doesn't help either, unplug your second monitor, restart your computer, and try again.

Message 5 of 15 (762 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I tried that, and there is a file called deviceconfig but it is empty except for two lines that say options and defult options

Message 6 of 15 (730 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Also, I don't know if this is significant, but I bought all the games second hand from ebay.

Message 7 of 15 (729 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@eleanxr_dunkin   First of all I'm guessing if you bought the games off Ebay that the games are used and the codes that may have been provided are already used. Next the disc version will install SecuROM and SafeDisc. SecuROM is no longer supported by Windows. As of 2012 the DRM for this game is Origin. Once a code is accepted by the system that code is locked to the Origin account in use at that time.My guess is the new pack will not work with the old game. Did you try to register your games in Origin? Once you get the disc version in Origin you will need to get the 1.67 super patch. Once Origin sees the version 1.67, Origin will apply the Origin only 1.69 patch. This patch will disable SecuROM and SafeDisc.

Message 8 of 15 (703 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I tried when I first bought them to register the game, but it said the code was already in use... I think the easiest thing to do would be to buy a new version on origin, but I just want to make sure it's something wrong with this particular game before I buy another one.

Message 9 of 15 (669 Views)

@eleanxr_dunkin  This is not likely to be an issue with your discs overall.  There could be an issue with your Generations disc, but if your game was working before, it should still work now.  While there's only limited official support for people with used discs, the discs themselves can work, and an install that involves used discs is no more likely to fail than one that involves discs still in the possession of their original owner.

Did you run the Super Patch?  It's specifically made for disc installs and doesn't have anything to do with Origin.  If it doesn't or didn't help, try running a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Message 10 of 15 (654 Views)