Re: Sims 3 Store Content won't install correctly or stay installed

by Annarata

Original Post

Sims 3 Store Content won't install correctly or stay installed

★★★★ Novice

I recently started playing my sims 3 again frequently after only playing every so often. When creating sims I noticed a lot of my content wasn't an option so I checked the files and all my store content had been unistalled. After spending ages reinstalling and going to bed turned my computer back on and it was all again. I followed the advice from other threads with the backup and the cache and then started installing in groups again didn't work. After then unistalling it all getting rid of all the files off my laptop I reinstalled the game through origin. I downloaded and installed the 5 or 6 worlds I have last night and then the 6 lots. I checked they were downloaded and they were. They were also installed. When I turned my laptop on today all of them again were gone in the launcher except the lots which are not working either. After trying to reinstall them I started getting the following response which is shown in the screenshots. 

Does anyone know how I can fix this ? I really want to be able to play with all my content 

Message 1 of 15 (2,118 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Annarata   I think downloads from The Sims Store are launcher specific; and different TS3 installment have different launchers. Trying to install an item downloaded through one kind of installment specific launcher; into the launcher for another, is one reason for that error message, as well the 'brown box' icons for the items.
It seems to be a generic message though, and can also mean your game is not updated for instance.

Did you download directly from the store, for instance from your Purchase history; and did you open the launcher before you pressed "Download"?
Or did you copy your previously made backups of store items and pasted them into the Sims 3 folder? If the latter: were the previously downloaded items from a different install version?
Do you now have different installed versions of TS3 on your computer(s);  through discs, Steam, Origin?

Message 2 of 15 (2,099 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@DonroaAkashu I only have it through origin. I have tried both opening the launcher first and opening through clicking the download. I have only done it through downloading from the sims store website not back ups from another file. I am not sure about the updates as I dont have the update tab and I believe origin just tells me when to update or does it automatically when it has one. I'm not sure what the current version should be but my version is shown in the screenshots I believe
Message 3 of 15 (2,091 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@DonroaAkashu I was talking to the EA chat and although they thought I had an issue with my sims game actually launching they had me unistall and reinstall origin through a link they sent me. Once I launched sims from this after they had me make it so origin doesnt automatically update all the things I installed last night were working again. The origin told me to update and after I did they were all broken again. I am thinking maybe I have an issue with the origin update that is causing my issues with sims ?
Message 4 of 15 (2,085 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@Annarata  Thank you for clarifying. It's normal for Origin to want to update. I suggest you try to download and install one store item in a new sims 3 folder to see if that will work:

Rename The Sims 3 folder in Documents>Electronic Arts to: The Sims 3old; and launch the game, a new folder will be created. Download just one item from the store to it, and let me know if it works.

Message 5 of 15 (2,067 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you I will try this and see if it works first I need to try and get it back to the last lot working since the origin updated. I will let you know how it goes 

Message 6 of 15 (2,051 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@DonroaAkashu So far that has worked I have downloaded and installed all 5 worlds and going to turn the computer off for a while then back on and see if they are all still there as that was when they disappeared before hand when I turned it off
Message 7 of 15 (2,027 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Annarata   The reason why it is good to try in a new fresh Sims 3 folder is that if it then works, then there might be a problem with your old Sims 3 folder, and we'll know that. And if it doesn't work, then the problem is likely with Origin.

And the reason why it is good to try to download just one store item is that sometimes the installs doesn't work because there were too many items installed at once; and your error message did show a long list of unsuccessful installs, so maybe you tried to do just that.

The best way to download and install store items depends on how much you have, but the recommendation is to start with large items, like worlds, and only one by one. Then move on to venues, one by one; and last smaller items, not too many at a time. If you 'own the store', there is a complicated guide made by a player at the official forum here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/866577/how-to-install-store-items

But I suggest you try what I said first, to try to locate where the issue is.

Message 8 of 15 (2,020 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@DonroaAkashu The long list was everything I had installed to that point. After I tried the suggestions form other threads I unistalled sims completely deleted all folders and the I start downloading and installing first worlds then lots, sets and individuals and do this in groups of 4 items at a time. The ones in the screenshot had all downloaded and installed correctly. Then when I turned the laptop on the next day that is when they had all uninstalled and came up with that error code. I tried what you suggested and it worked until I had just turned my computer back on and the same is happening all over again.
Message 9 of 15 (2,009 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@DonroaAkashu They all work one by one until I go off the computer which is what I don't understand I'm going to try getting in touch with EA about Origin too. Make sure that isn't the problem
Message 10 of 15 (2,002 Views)