Re: Sims 3 Severe Lag All Of A Sudden

by roberta591

Original Post

Sims 3 Severe Lag All Of A Sudden

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
I know there’s posts related to this, but all of the solutions I’ve tried haven’t worked. I have tried to clear cache, use Overwatch, and more. The game was running smoothly for more than three hours, and all of a sudden it just froze, but animations were still in action. It would unfreeze for about 5-20 seconds then just stay like that. Also, resetsims * isn’t working either. It relieves lag for about 10 seconds and then theres huge lag after that. I’ve tried to fix this issue for 2 hours, and I have no luck. Please help!
Message 1 of 8 (636 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@sceptrons  Is your computer a pc or mac? If your computer is a pc please post your computer's dxdiag - link - how to post your computer's dxdiag  thank you

Message 2 of 8 (617 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Eh, I'm guessing that OP has long gone and had to quit out of whatever save game he/she was playing. Nevertheless, I'll post this for anyone who might be going through the same problem.

1. By "game running smoothly for hours", I am assuming you ran the game nonstop for several hours. If so, perhaps the game simply ran out of memory.

2. Maybe you had a sim swarm somewhere. A sim swarm is an annoying bug in which practically every sim in town will swarm to one particular location. Usually, this happens at a bar or club. This will definitely choke your game. In that case, you will either have to use a mod or bulldoze and replace the lot with a copy.

3. Sometimes outdated drivers will cause lag issues, so in a case like that, try updating to see what happens. 

4. This could've been a RAM issue. I know because something very similar happened to me last week. I started experiencing massive lag. As it turned out, I had accidentally jostled a stick of RAM out of place and lost half my RAM in the process. Check your computer specs to see how much RAM you have. If you notice that you're missing RAM memory, that could be the culprit. Maybe one of the RAM sticks malfunctioned in the course of playing the game.

Message 3 of 8 (581 Views)

★★ Novice

I checked my RAM, and I have more than half of it left, so thats probably not the problem...  I have no issues running anything else, so its probably the game itself?

Message 4 of 8 (547 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Attached it in the file @roberta591

Message 5 of 8 (546 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@sceptrons  First you Windows 10 does not have the 1709 (fall creators update) so your a semi annual update behind. The Sims 3 is a 32 bit application and as such can not address memory above 4Gb. In reality a 32 bit application can not use more then 2Gb of memory until it starts using virtual memory because of compilers. The GeForce GTX 1050 is not in the game database which could be causing issues. link - how to add new graphics chips to Sims 3  This is what I have used to add new graphics chips to Sims 3. A sudden slow down could indicate you are running out of virtual memory. Increasing the amount of virtual memory may help. Update Windows 10, then bump up virtual memory, then add graphics card to game database.

Message 6 of 8 (522 Views)

★★ Novice

Updated Windows, and virtual memory seemed to be fine. Also added graphics card to the database. It's still having the same problems, though....

Message 7 of 8 (503 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@sceptrons  Do you have any cc or mods in the game? What world are you playing?

Message 8 of 8 (497 Views)