Re: Sims 3 Restarts on Custom Gaming Computer

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Restarts on Custom Gaming Computer

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

When I open Sims 3, it last for a little while (5-10 minutes) and then my entire computer shuts down and restarts itself.

I've tried everything. I updated my BIOS, did a clean install of windows, updated each driver for my motherboard one by one in a particular order and restarted after each one. I've repaired the game, uninstalled/re-installed. Attempted to make my graphics card recognized but I'll admit that didn't work out. I've attached the DxDiag file. Sims 3 used to run fine, but I just updated my CPU, motherboard, and RAM and this issue now persists. If anyone could help I'd be extremely grateful. I want my nostalgia.

Computer information:

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F10, 6/5/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI

Message 1 of 7 (1,423 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

@ZombieeTina  Did your computer restart again when you were running hwinfo?  Because there's nothing obvious, to me at least, that would have caused a straight restart.  The power supply is usually the first suspect, but its output looks fine.  Still, please list the make and model, including its wattage—I want to ask for an expert opinion on this, and that will likely be question number one.

In the meantime, it probably does matter that your GPU is making a whining noise.  One of the less than optimal things about Sims 3 is that its framerate limiter doesn't work, and powerful cards can generate fps well into the hundreds if not manually capped.  You can check your in-game framerates by bringing up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and entering "fps on" without quotes.  A number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen.  ("fps off" makes it go away.)  High framerates would also explain the visual tearing, especially since it wouldn't normally be an issue with your card and a game like TS3.

With an AMD card, the best tool to start with is RivaTuner Statistics Server (free download), which you can use to set fps to 60.  RTSS does need to be running in the background while you play, so make sure not to X it out.  Set up a profile for Sims 3 using TS3.exe for an Origin install, or TS3W.exe (with the "W") for a disc or Steam install.  Some people use MSI Afterburner, which works just fine as well, but RTSS is simpler and more convenient if all you want to do is lock in framerates.

Let me know what your fps looks like, and whether it helps to cap it.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 7 (1,366 Views)

All Replies

@ZombieeTina  I can help get your graphics card recognized, if you want.  The relevant info is already in your dxdiag.  But that's almost certainly not the issue.  A straight restart, with no BSOD, usually points to a hardware issue, or occasionally software that's misusing the hardware.

The first step then is some hardware monitoring, to see how the various components are performing.  Hwinfo is an easy tool to use, and free.  You can download it from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't even need to install it, if you'd rather not—just download the portable version, unzip it, and launch it directly from Downloads.  (If you do want to use the installer, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)  Restart your computer, open hwinfo, choose "sensors only," and click the icon with a sheet of paper and a + sign to start logging.  Take note of where the log file is being saved, so you can find it later.  Wait five minutes, then launch Sims 3, and play for 20 minutes or until you get another restart.

You can upload the log file to a third-party site and link it here, or change its extension to .txt (just log.txt, not log.csv.txt) and attach it to a post.  I'll look it over and see if there are any red flags.

Message 2 of 7 (1,394 Views)

★★ Novice

First, thank you so much for trying to help me out with this!

I've attached the log file. I maybe should also mention there is some visual tearing and the GPU is making a high pitched whiny noise the moment Sims 3 comes on. Never had these issues with any other game though.

Message 3 of 7 (1,379 Views)
Highlighted

@ZombieeTina  Did your computer restart again when you were running hwinfo?  Because there's nothing obvious, to me at least, that would have caused a straight restart.  The power supply is usually the first suspect, but its output looks fine.  Still, please list the make and model, including its wattage—I want to ask for an expert opinion on this, and that will likely be question number one.

In the meantime, it probably does matter that your GPU is making a whining noise.  One of the less than optimal things about Sims 3 is that its framerate limiter doesn't work, and powerful cards can generate fps well into the hundreds if not manually capped.  You can check your in-game framerates by bringing up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and entering "fps on" without quotes.  A number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen.  ("fps off" makes it go away.)  High framerates would also explain the visual tearing, especially since it wouldn't normally be an issue with your card and a game like TS3.

With an AMD card, the best tool to start with is RivaTuner Statistics Server (free download), which you can use to set fps to 60.  RTSS does need to be running in the background while you play, so make sure not to X it out.  Set up a profile for Sims 3 using TS3.exe for an Origin install, or TS3W.exe (with the "W") for a disc or Steam install.  Some people use MSI Afterburner, which works just fine as well, but RTSS is simpler and more convenient if all you want to do is lock in framerates.

Let me know what your fps looks like, and whether it helps to cap it.

Message 4 of 7 (1,367 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I'll download and see what capping the fps does. The power supply is a EVGA Supernova Nex 750B. I believe 750 watts.

The computer did restart itself, before the loading screen even ended. When I enable advanced rendering and set the resolution higher, it crashes significantly sooner than when the resolution is lower and all the values are low. But even with everything low, I've never even played the game as it could never make it through CAS (not that I ever got that far, I just know it won't). So all this crashing occurs at the main menu to pick a neighborhood, 'cause I leave the game there and fiddle with options until the computer restarts.

**Edit: So it's been lasting on the highest settings in fullscreen mode since capping the 60 FPS longer than it ever has before. I'm going to leave it on the main menu while I head off for work and see if it's still on when I get back. That should tell me if this was the solution, which I'm guessing it was. So thank you so much! I'll be sure to come back and update in some hours if I have found my solution or not.

Message 5 of 7 (1,356 Views)

★★ Novice

That was it! My game was able to run for hours, no crash/restart on the highest settings possible. While I left a sim to live out her life (so not just the main menu). I just needed my FPS capped at 60 and the suggested program worked. Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 7 (1,322 Views)

@ZombieeTina  I'm glad to hear it was that simple.  Runaway framereates usually cause game crashes at most, not complete restarts, but maybe your GPU was going a bit overboard in protecting itself.  Enjoy your nostalgia.

Message 7 of 7 (1,312 Views)