Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Sims 3 Registration Code Invalid, Need Help!

by mississippi42315

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Registration Code Invalid, Need Help!

★★ Newbie

I have been having trouble installing my Sims 3 game that I have had for many years. I recently built a new computer and wanted to install my game onto the new computer, since I will be getting rid of my old laptop that I cannot run the game on anymore due to its age. However, I am told over and over again at the beginning of the installation process that my registration code is invalid and has already been used, which it has been for when I previously installed the game on my old computer. This is very frustrating and I can't get it to install unless I have a valid registration code. I paid money for my game years ago, and I don't want to be forced into buying a brand new game all because of the annoying registration code that only works once apparently. Any help would be greatly appreciated in solving this issue. I really want to get my game installed on a computer that can finally run it smoothly.

Message 1 of 9 (581 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

@mississippi42315  When you installed the game on your old computer, did you add the code to your Origin account?  You may have been forced to do it automatically, depending on when your base game disc was manufactured.  If not, did you ever register the game on the Sims 3 Store site or thesims3.com?  This site shares information with Origin, so your code would read as used if yoou tried to input it again.

The solution is simple: login to the same account that you used before, and your game should already be in your Origin library.  Even if you only have an account on the old Sims 3 site, your email address and password should work in Origin as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (566 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

@mississippi42315  When you installed the game on your old computer, did you add the code to your Origin account?  You may have been forced to do it automatically, depending on when your base game disc was manufactured.  If not, did you ever register the game on the Sims 3 Store site or thesims3.com?  This site shares information with Origin, so your code would read as used if yoou tried to input it again.

The solution is simple: login to the same account that you used before, and your game should already be in your Origin library.  Even if you only have an account on the old Sims 3 site, your email address and password should work in Origin as well.

Message 2 of 9 (567 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Newbie

I don't believe I ever registered the game on thesims3.com, and I know Origin did not require me to do so because it was years ago when I installed it. Maybe I did register it on thesims3.com, but how would I go about locating it?

Message 3 of 9 (564 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict I've tried looking all over Origin and TheSims3.com, but I cannot seem to find a place where I could locate it. Am I basically forced to get a new game because of this?
Message 4 of 9 (557 Views)
Highlighted

@mississippi42315  Do you still have the game installed on your old computer?  If so, you might have a file with your email address inside the Sims 3 game folder in Documents.  Go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads, and look for a file labeled [your email address].bin: that's the email associated with your store account.

If you don't remember the password, to to Origin's login page, enter the email, and click "I forgot my password."  You should get a password reset email right away.

Even if you don't have the file with your email address, you can try entering each of your known addresses in Origin and trying to reset the password.  Any address associated with a real account, Origin or Sims 3 store, should get the password reset email.

Message 5 of 9 (547 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict It is still installed on my old computer, but I can't seem to locate the file you mentioned. I appreciate the help anyways, so thank you for trying and I understand if it's kind of a lost cause at this point.
Message 6 of 9 (532 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Newbie
@mississippi42315 I'm actually happy to report that I figured it out. I went through thesims3.com like you said and eventually found what I had to do, so thank you!
Message 7 of 9 (516 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Newbie

Hi!

I have the same problem! I had the Sims3 starter pack with the Seasons on an old computer but it crashed. I haven't played in years, but I have found the game again and would like to download it onto my new laptop.

I have contacted the EA Help and an looking through thesims3.com as well, but haven't found anything yet..

If anyone has tips please let me know!

Thx.

Message 8 of 9 (196 Views)
Highlighted

@boreaerdos  If you registered the product keys either in Origin or on the old Sims 3 site, then the content will be in the Origin account tied to the email you used back then.  All you'd need to do is login to that account.

EA customer support is on limited hours right now, with phone calls entirely unavailable, and live chat only open from 9 am to midnight GMT, Monday through Saturday.  It also often takes more than one attempt to get through.

Message 9 of 9 (162 Views)
Twitter Stream