Re: Sims 3 Problem connecting to Server on Mac

by kaylalikescats

Original Post

Sims 3 Problem connecting to Server on Mac

★★★ Newbie

Hey! So I just bought a Sims 3 game from Origin and it comes with the Late Night expansion pack and High-End Loft stuff pack (I haven’t installed them yet) I am having trouble opening the main game. It has downloaded and installed smoothly but I keep getting the same message. I am currently using an early 2015 Macbook with macOS High Sierra. 

Message 1 of 10 (9,203 Views)

@alazee1113  That's a message we haven't seen in 2019, although it was a huge problem last year.  From the screenshot, it looks like you were online when you launched the game?  If so, this may well be the same issue as before.  There are a couple of fixes, but the most straightforward one for you may be to just go ahead and install both your packs.  Last year, adding Late Night was enough to get around this message.

You'll need to apply one small fix for LN, otherwise you'll get an unknown error message.  Just create an alias (icon) for LN in Applications\The Sims 3, alongside the alias for the base game.  This is simple:

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

If this doesn't work, let me know, and I'll do a test install tonight to see if I can figure out what's going on.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (9,159 Views)

★★ Novice

im literally having this same exact problem, i feel like ive tried everything. i havent downloaded the packs either

Message 3 of 10 (9,109 Views)

@kaylalikescats  You can download the packs and go through the standard troubleshooting steps for the unknown error; this will bypass the server issue as long as you own at least one pack that isn't World Adventures or High-End Loft Stuff.  Let me know if you need help with the unknown error fixes, and please list the packs you plan to install.

Or, if you'd prefer to fix the base game alone, here's how:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Sims-3-quot-There-is-a-problem-connecting-to-the-serv...

Message 4 of 10 (9,100 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm also having this problem, but on an older mac that I've never experienced a problem running TS3 on. When I bought a new MacBook Pro, I couldn't install certain expansion packs so I just continued to play the game on my old MacBook. Yesterday I tried launching the game after not having played for a while and got that message. I uninstalled the game and tried reinstalling and continued to get that message. I purposely haven't updated the OS on my old macbook because I knew that TS3 has problems running on newer apple iOS versions. Can anyone explain how to fix this to someone who doesn't know much about computers?

Message 5 of 10 (8,273 Views)

@mg75535  There are a couple different approaches.  You could stick with the base game alone and apply this workaround for the license server error:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Sims-3-quot-Important-Message-There-is-a-problem-conn...

Or you could install your packs.  If you own any that are not World Adventures or High-End Loft Stuff, the presence of that pack should fix the error on its own.

Sims 3 doesn't run at all on Catalina (10.15), but it does fine on all earlier operating systems, up to and including Mojave (10.14).  Starting with El Capitan (10.11), there are issues installing four of the packs (Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living); a couple of extra steps are needed to get them working.  I can provide instructions, if you'd like to try installing on your new Mac.  But it would be easier to describe the process if I knew which packs you wanted to install.

Message 6 of 10 (8,257 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

I have just recently bought the sims 3 and I tried opening the game and keeps saying I am not connected to the internet... even though my connectivity is strong. 

Could you explain how I can fix this problem? Also, I didn't buy any other packs, I just got the starter pack.

Thanks, 

Message 7 of 10 (5,085 Views)

@goodbyebread12  Try this:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Sims-3-quot-Important-Message-There-is-a-problem-conn...

Message 8 of 10 (5,040 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict I tried installing late night and gave the the Unknown error occurred message that fixed earlier. HELP!!!!!
Message 9 of 10 (1,830 Views)

@Foxpiccolo  If you have only Late Night, plus perhaps High-End Loft Stuff and/or World Adventures, all you need to do is create an alias (icon) for Late Night in Applications\The Sims 3, alongside the alias for the base game.  Here's how:

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

If you own any other packs, please list them.

Message 10 of 10 (1,818 Views)