Re: Sims 3 Pets game downloaded but will not install on Mac/How do I redownload the game?

by caspinwall

Original Post

Sims 3 Pets game downloaded but will not install on Mac/How do I redownload the game?

★★★ Newbie

I cannot seem to find where origin placed my downloaded Sims expansion packs on my Macbook Pro. The Sims 3 Pets expansion pack downloaded but my internet cut in and out causing it to pause a lot. I think that there may be a problem with the download itself, but I cannot figure out how to delete the current download of the game so I can REdownload it. I had tried multiple times to install the current download I have and every time it stops working at file 36 of 104 with either 2minutes remaining or 1min 42 seconds. This is partly why I beileve it is a corrupted download. My Sims Late Night and Island expansion packs both installed and work correctly, so I am not sure why Pets will not work. I tried restarting computer, deleting Origin application, uninstalling all expansion packs and main game...then reinstalling main game. When I did this I could see that within Origin Island and Late Night needed to be downloaded again, while Pets just gave me the "install" option as it did before.I tried the install again and still no dice... 

I have looked at some info online which said Origin places it within "Application Support" yet I do not have that as a folder within my library on my mac...

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 2 (1,190 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Pets game downloaded but will not install on Mac/How do I redownload the game?

Champion (Retired)
Sometimes the download or installation fails. This can be for a variety of factors, including your internet connection dropping out during the download. Sometimes this can result in an awkward situation in which Origin acts as though the game is installed correctly. This means you can’t play the game, but nor will Origin let you re-download it. You cannot easily “uninstall” the game, because of course it isn’t there.

First thing to do is to go into Applications on your Mac and look in the folder called “The Sims 3”. This is the location from which your game actually launches (as opposed to a similarly named folder within Documents, which is where your saves and other data are stored). In the folder in Applications you will see the shortcut icons for the base game as well as any expansions or stuff packs installed. If you can see the icon for the game that has failed to properly download from Origin, try right clicking on it and this should give you the option to show the original file. You can move the original files to the trash from there. This may allow you to commence a re-download from Origin. (Many thanks go to Tremayne from TS3 Mac forum for this suggestion.)

Relying on Origin if you don't have a stable internet connection is likely to result in huge frustration I'm afraid!

If this does not work, or if the icon is missing from the “The Sims 3” folder in Applications, then you may need to completely uninstall and reinstall: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Best of luck!
Message 2 of 2 (1,185 Views)