Re: Sims 3 Pets Map texture glitch

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 3 Pets Map texture glitch

★ Novice

So the other day i re-installed the entire series of sims 3 minus a few EP's
after i had installed pets i tried launching the game and setting up a new household. but the entire map was all grey/white and only the water effects (only some). after i would try to create a household/ use a premade one the game would crash

im currently on Windows 10 these are my system specs:

NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB

Intel i7 6700k

16gig DDR4 memory

as far as system specs go there wouldnt be a problem with my graphics as the game was working perfect until i installed pets

i dont have seasons installed so it wouldnt be a weather effect

this problem happens on all of the maps including the ones that werent included in the Pets EP

if someone can give me some help it'll be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 7 (1,771 Views)

@MixedMag  Your system should absolutely be able to handle everything TS3 can throw at it.  But there are other causes of the graphics glitches you've described.  First, when you loaded the game, did you change the preset graphics options at the Main Menu and then immediately load a town?  Adjusting certain settings without quitting to desktop and reloading can definitely cause this problem.

The fix is easy:  Pull your TS3 game folder out of Documents\EA and launch the game.  (If you haven't done anything in-game worth saving yet, you can delete it outright.)  Don't mess with the settings at all the first time; just check to see if the map loads correctly and you can get into Create a Sim.  If so, you can exit to the Main Menu, change the settings however you like, quit to desktop, reload, and start playing.

Even if you didn't do anything to your graphics settings, it's still worth pulling your game folder to see whether it makes a difference.  If it doesn't, another possible cause is a typo in one of the game's .sgr files.  If you edited these files to force recognition of your card, even something as simple as the wrong quotation mark could mess things up.  Try putting the original .sgr files back, at least temporarily, to see if it helps.

If none of this applies, I'd like to see the first 40 or so lines of your deviceconfig, also in your TS3 game folder.  You can copy and paste those lines into a post here; stop when you hit the list of game options.  This file shows what TS3 makes of your hardware, as well as which graphics card it's using if you have a dual setup.  Your user and machine names are listed about 25 lines down, so you can delete those if you want, but there's no other identifying information in the file.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (1,754 Views)

★ Novice

when i originally installed the game i did change the settings immediately and then restart but when i reinstalled all of the EP's i didnt touch the graphics settings. i just attempted to start a new game, i havent either played with the .sgr files. the game didnt recognise my Graphics card so it automatically set it to ultra/high which wouldnt be an issue for my setup

another problem ive run into. when trying to get you the device config it only displays 2 lines.

=== Options ===
=== Default Options ===

i might be doing something wrong, im not too sure

Message 3 of 7 (1,734 Views)
Highlighted

@MixedMag  That's strange; the deviceconfig should be quite long.  I would think there has to be another one somewhere on your system that TS3 is generating instead.  What you can do is load a new game, play for a few minutes, and then save with an unusual name, one that you'll be able to search for easily.  Then quit and look inside Saves in your game folder.  Is that save there?  If not, search for it in File Explorer.

Since this isn't normal, I'd also like to see its location, i.e. the file path above the window where the folder is displayed.  You can copy and paste that path here; delete your username if you want.

In that same folder, you'll find the deviceconfig that has all your computer info, or at least it should.  I've never heard of a situation where TS3 was running, i.e. it didn't crash, and there was no info in the deviceconfig at all.

Message 4 of 7 (1,724 Views)

★ Novice

thats what i thought. anyway ive loaded up a new game and it didnt crash while trying to exit the tutorial. but i forgot to mention that the texture bug only occurs when you're in town vie. when in normal view everything is fine

this is the location to where the deviceconfig .txt file is

C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (this is the one that you said it should be under)

also under that save file i created what am i looking for?

Message 5 of 7 (1,709 Views)

★ Novice

I also just setup a new family that i created including pets and bought a home. as it was loading it, the game crashed.

my guess is the problem is to do with TS3 Pets EP. do you know if theres like an update online i can find and download that could fix this issue

even after this crash the device config file is still only showing those 2 lines

Message 6 of 7 (1,686 Views)

@MixedMag  The reason I suggested you make a new save and check the path to the file is that the live deviceconfig, the one the game is creating, should be there too.  As in, even if you have two or more game folders for whatever reason, the save you created during that last play session and the deviceconfig generated during that session will be in the same folder.  But it sounds like this is the case, and you're still getting an almost blank deviceconfig.

I don't think it's going to make a difference, but please pull this game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  Launch the game to the Main Menu and check the deviceconfig in the new folder that spawns, and let me know what it says.

I'd also like to see a dxdiag on your computer.  Its hardware is strong enough that it shouldn't have any trouble running TS3.  There are steps that can help, like manually capping your frame rates, but the first thing to do is check for system issues.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

To answer your question about an update, no, there's nothing new.  TS3 hasn't had a patch in over three years, and the last patch that changed the game files was released in 2014.  So unless you reinstalled entirely from disc and didn't try to patch, your game should be up to date.  If you did install via disc, you can run the Super Patch to make your patch level current.  It wouldn't hurt to run it on an already patched disc install, but don't use it on a digital install—it will probably break the install entirely.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...

(You want the Cumulative Base Game Super Patcher.)

Message 7 of 7 (1,678 Views)