Re: Sims 3 Pets - Can’t click on own sim (self)

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Pets - Can’t click on own sim (self)

★★★★ Novice

Hi, 

So, my story is a bit weird. I bought the Sims 3 Pets disk LEGALLY at Walmart. And when I tried playing it after a short time of like 5 minutes I could no longer click on my own self sim, but I can still interact with objects and click on other sims. I have tried the resetsim thingy already, it did NOT work. I don’t know what to do, I have played without Pets for 5 years and I have never had this issue until I got Sims 3 Pets, so I KNOW it is related to the expansion pack, what do I do? 

Message 1 of 5 (799 Views)

Accepted Solution

@weirdicat  It might be a mod, although it could also be your specs.  While your hardware is fine for the base game and some expansions (and all stuff packs), Pets is the most demanding pack of all.  Many people on similar hardware to yours struggle to run it, although graphics glitches are much more common than issues with processor tasks.  Still, the fact that you played without trouble until you installed Pets means it's worth considering.  The best thing you can do to relieve stress on the CPU is to not run anything else while you play.

Aside from a possible issue with hardware, another possibility, if you've been playing in an existing save, is that the addition of the Pets EP is overloading the game.  It's not just the extra content, it's the spawning of new animals, and possibly their routing issues if you're playing in a world that wasn't built to accomodate them.  You can test by starting a new save in Appaloosa Plains and comparing that with the save that's been giving you trouble.

As for your mods, it's easy enough to test: remove them, delete scriptCache.package, and test the same save with issues.  You don't need to save your progress, or you can use "save as" to rename the save if you're not sure whether you'd like to revert to the previous save sometime later.  By the way, you don't need to worry about NRaas mods unless they're wildly out of date.  But the others are definitely worth testing.  If the problem goes away with no mods, you can start adding them back in batches and testing.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 5 (721 Views)

All Replies

@weirdicat  As a test, try evicting and replacing your sim from Edit Town.  The sim will lose any promised wishes and opportunities but keep their job and relationships.  If you don't want this to happen, it's still a worthwhile test, and you can use "save as" to rename the save, so you can go back to the original if necessary.

Please also delete the five cache files in your Sims 3 game folder (in Documents\Electronic Arts) before and after you evict the sim.  These files should be deleted regularly anyway, and while troubleshooting, be sure to delete them every time you quit.  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If the eviction doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 5 (789 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I deleted the caches and started the game, the bug happened again, then I followed your directions and removed the family from the house and replaced them with the same family.

It worked, the bug disappeared, I didn't play any further to see if the bug would return or something, but in the event where the bug DOES return, what do I do, what is causing this to occur?

I attached my DxDiag results, I believe that I have decent specs to run Sims 3 Pets, but just in case I attached it.

Message 3 of 5 (744 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I’m beginning to think that what I’m facing is being caused by some sort of mod I have, so I am going to sort through my mods to figure out if something inside it is causing it. 

Message 4 of 5 (734 Views)

@weirdicat  It might be a mod, although it could also be your specs.  While your hardware is fine for the base game and some expansions (and all stuff packs), Pets is the most demanding pack of all.  Many people on similar hardware to yours struggle to run it, although graphics glitches are much more common than issues with processor tasks.  Still, the fact that you played without trouble until you installed Pets means it's worth considering.  The best thing you can do to relieve stress on the CPU is to not run anything else while you play.

Aside from a possible issue with hardware, another possibility, if you've been playing in an existing save, is that the addition of the Pets EP is overloading the game.  It's not just the extra content, it's the spawning of new animals, and possibly their routing issues if you're playing in a world that wasn't built to accomodate them.  You can test by starting a new save in Appaloosa Plains and comparing that with the save that's been giving you trouble.

As for your mods, it's easy enough to test: remove them, delete scriptCache.package, and test the same save with issues.  You don't need to save your progress, or you can use "save as" to rename the save if you're not sure whether you'd like to revert to the previous save sometime later.  By the way, you don't need to worry about NRaas mods unless they're wildly out of date.  But the others are definitely worth testing.  If the problem goes away with no mods, you can start adding them back in batches and testing.

Message 5 of 5 (722 Views)