Re: Sims 3 Launcher won't open

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 3 Launcher won't open

★★★★★ Newbie

The Sims 3 used to work perfectly fine on this laptop before this. The occasional crash after playing for a few hours, but that's not out of the ordinary for such an old game and the amount of custom content I had, so I can't complain.

Yesterday, I factory reset my laptop after saving all the data I wanted to an external hard drive. I also created new accounts for everything since I'm getting rid of all my old ones, and my games on Origin were transferred from my old account to my new one and my old account was deactivated. I downloaded all of my games again, and while the Sims 4 works just fine, the Sims 3 Launcher won't open. When I click play, Origin closes like it should, but instead of the Launcher opening, Origin opens back up again not even a second later, which happens after a game is closed. Since I play the Sims 3 through Origin, bypassing the Launcher isn't an option for me.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Sims 3, uninstalling and reinstalling Origin, restarting my laptop, running the Launcher as administrator, running Origin as administrator, clearing my Origin cache files, running a clean boot of my computer, making sure my dll files are there, and none of these have made a difference. I've had two phone calls and multiple chats with EA tech support and they can't figure out how to fix it. Can anyone here help me?

Message 1 of 4 (457 Views)

@Olliecat_x  It sounds like the process of moving your Sims 3 content to your new Origin account may be the issue here.  We often see the same symptoms after two accounts are merged, and the root cause is that the base game product key is not transferred properly: it might not be transferred at all, or if it is, it's deactivated or otherwise not valid.  So you'll need to contact EA customer support for help.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

Be sure to ask not just whether your account has a base game key but whether it's active and valid.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (428 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddictThank you for telling me what to ask, I've been way out of my depth on this since I have no tech skills whatsoever! I did another factory reset today and did nothing after it but install Origin and the base game, and it still didn't work even though there we no files that could possibly be interfering, so I already figured out it was a problem with Origin and not my laptop, but I've been having some trouble getting into contact with them. Whenever I try to open a new case or resume my old one, when I try to view the contact options it only gives me the link for here, not the option to receive a call or start a chat. Do you know what's going on there, or if there's a number I can call directl

Message 3 of 4 (411 Views)

@Olliecat_x  Try changing the location within your browser (in the upper right corner) to U.S. or U.K. if you haven't already.  If that doesn't help, try choosing a slightly different category of issue: some of them offer more limited options than others.

There's also a banner across the top of this site that says EA help is currently having issues, so you might need to wait a bit.

If you can't get through at all, or if the support rep doesn't help, please let me know, and I'll ask around for advice on what you should do next.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (397 Views)