Re: Sims 3 Launcher not responding when putting custom content in game

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Launcher not responding when putting custom content in game

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hello,

So I just got my Sims 3 up and running, it was not able to run mods but with help I found a solution. I have all mods wanted into the game and it was working fine, however, I started to install my custom content back into the game and before I used to take it slow, install every once in a while when I come up with an idea of something I need to get. Bit this time wasn't like that. I had everything put aside in a folder and so I kinda just went crazy and tried putting as much as I could at once. 

Two days go by of slow uploads and all of a sudden no matter how many times I try it won't upload anymore and the launcher keeps not responding. I left it alone for a little while thinking I just over did it but when I went back, still nothing. I looked it up on the internet and read that you can only have 2 GB of CC but I know you can have more because altogether I have 2. 92 GB of files and I had them all installed at one point. Also, I tried to uninstall stuff in case that was the problem but I don't think it was because it stopped responding then too..  I need help. .please?

Message 1 of 8 (4,206 Views)

Accepted Solution

@SparkleQueen2142  I'm glad you found a solution to the mods issue.  Could you go to your other thread and mark as a solution the particular step that helped you?  That way, other players will see it more easily when they're searching (and I'll know which step to recommend first as well for anyone else with your same symptoms).

For the custom content, are we talking about .package files in Mods, or Sims3Pack files installed into the launcher?  If it's the latter, you may have a bad cc item, or else a corrupt .dbc bundle in DCCache.  Either one could cause the launcher to crash.

What I would recommend is taking all of the .dbc files out of DCCache, and deleting everything in DCBackup except for your ccmerged.package, which is necessary to make your custom store content work.  (If you don't have any store content installed, you can delete ccmerged as well.)  You should also delete any sims or houses you've installed—they'll have entries in SavedSims or Library.  If you've created your own sims or households and you're not sure what's what, you can check the timestamps on the files and delete the ones that were created when you were installing cc.  When you've deleted everything, make sure your game loads properly again.

If it does, you can start reinstalling your cc in small batches.  For Sims3Packs, the launcher doesn't handle large amounts of data very well, so it's best to install no more than a couple of files at a time.  When you're sure they work—close the launcher and open it again, then launch your game—install a few more.  If your game stops working, you've just added a bad file and need to get rid of it.

If the launcher still doesn't open after you've deleted your installed cc, try removing everything from Downloads.  You don't have to trash the files; just move them elsewhere while you're installing.  The launcher doesn't always read Downloads very well either, especially if the folder is full.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (4,142 Views)

All Replies

@SparkleQueen2142  I'm glad you found a solution to the mods issue.  Could you go to your other thread and mark as a solution the particular step that helped you?  That way, other players will see it more easily when they're searching (and I'll know which step to recommend first as well for anyone else with your same symptoms).

For the custom content, are we talking about .package files in Mods, or Sims3Pack files installed into the launcher?  If it's the latter, you may have a bad cc item, or else a corrupt .dbc bundle in DCCache.  Either one could cause the launcher to crash.

What I would recommend is taking all of the .dbc files out of DCCache, and deleting everything in DCBackup except for your ccmerged.package, which is necessary to make your custom store content work.  (If you don't have any store content installed, you can delete ccmerged as well.)  You should also delete any sims or houses you've installed—they'll have entries in SavedSims or Library.  If you've created your own sims or households and you're not sure what's what, you can check the timestamps on the files and delete the ones that were created when you were installing cc.  When you've deleted everything, make sure your game loads properly again.

If it does, you can start reinstalling your cc in small batches.  For Sims3Packs, the launcher doesn't handle large amounts of data very well, so it's best to install no more than a couple of files at a time.  When you're sure they work—close the launcher and open it again, then launch your game—install a few more.  If your game stops working, you've just added a bad file and need to get rid of it.

If the launcher still doesn't open after you've deleted your installed cc, try removing everything from Downloads.  You don't have to trash the files; just move them elsewhere while you're installing.  The launcher doesn't always read Downloads very well either, especially if the folder is full.

Message 2 of 8 (4,143 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict

I'm really getting kind of mad at the moment because I spent two days uploading content and I deleted DCBackup and DCCache as I went along and not know what I was doing it was deleting the content as I was going so I had to restart. I'm having a similar issue as I was having before but I do not want to delete Dccache because I guess that's where it stores the content information. Dcbackup is empty besides Ccmerged but and I'm only trying little bits at a time, I know it's not corrupted custom content unless coincidentally a ton is corrupted but it wasn't two days ago

Message 3 of 8 (4,090 Views)

@SparkleQueen2142  Which problem are you having?  That the launcher won't respond, or that you can't load the game?  For the latter, I still think the solution is to play while your computer isn't connected to the internet, unless that's no longer working.

For the custom content issue, it may only take one bad cc item, or one corrupted download, or one corrupted install, to compromise the rest of your content.  For now, you don't have to delete the contents of DCCache entirely, but try moving the folder somewhere else.  Make sure to delete the five cache files in your game folder again.  Then install just one Sims3Pack and launch the game to see if it shows up.  This will tell you if the issue is simply a corrupt file or something else going on with your game folder.

Message 4 of 8 (4,083 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict

I'm having the issue where the launcher to download custom content won't respond. My computer is still not connected to the internet and its faster that way. 

The only problem is,  is that I just downloaded all of this 2 days ago and it wasn't giving me this many problems. I did what you told me to do and it fixed the problem but then I was going to go back and reinstall the ones way before the corruption because I kinda really wanted that stuff, the only reason I downloaded it in the first place. I moved the Dccache and it created another one. I deleted a lot of stuff where about around the time the corruption happened so it would not of happened again. The problem is, you can't tell what's corrupt and what not so I ran into the problem again and I really don't want to start this process over. I have a lot of CC. It's like a 2 day download process. Is there a better way of doing this?

Message 5 of 8 (4,076 Views)

@SparkleQueen2142  Honestly, there's no good way to tell which custom content items are going to give you trouble.  There are a couple of tools that give you some idea, but they don't catch everything.  There are lists of bad cc items, but they're not complete, and some items have both good and bad versions.

If I were in your situation, what I'd do is install a batch of Sims3Packs, just a few at a time, delete my cache files, and launch the game to make sure the cc showed up.  Then I'd copy my DCCache folder elsewhere (right-click and select copy, then right-click on the destination and select paste) before installing the new batch of packs.  If the new items worked too, I'd trash the old DCCache folder and copy the new one, and then move on to another batch.  Any time I saw that my newest cc didn't work, I'd figure that at least one file in it was corrupt, and I'd try to narrow it down from there.

The point of having a backup copy of DCCache is that you can trash the newest copy if cc starts behaving badly, and you've only wasted the small amount of time that you spent installing the latest batch.  If you really want the content in that batch, you can use new DCCache folders to test it—split the batch in half, test it, split it again if necessary, etc.  The fact is that some of your downloaded packs may be corrupt, or they may only work on a previous version of the game.  Or the download itself might have been corrupted.  Custom content is always a bit difficult to manage, even for those who've been using it for years.

And just to clarify, you don't necessarily have to redownload all your cc.  The packs you've installed should still be in Downloads inside your game folder, unless you've removed them.  You can move Downloads elsewhere and spawn a new one, and then start moving your packs over for installation; that might make it easier to keep track of things.

Anyway, the short answer is yes, there are easier ways to install cc, but it's never completely easy.

Message 6 of 8 (4,070 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict

I don't have time to do all that. Would it be easier to delete all CC and re download some CC?

Message 7 of 8 (4,061 Views)

@SparkleQueen2142  Sure, if you want.  Or you could just reinstall the items you really like and hope for the best.  But the fact is, you're never going to be sure that you're not getting a bad Sims3Pack.  So whatever you do, be sure to back up your game folder before installing anything new, or else you may wind up in the same place you are now.

Message 8 of 8 (4,056 Views)