Sims 3 Launcher Won't Install CC and Store Content

by ToBeUnmasked

Original Post

Sims 3 Launcher Won't Install CC and Store Content

★★★ Novice

Ok, so I don't know if I'm doing this right, but if it's wrong I guess just correct me or something. I've never used these forums before and honestly don't like having to use public help forums, but I need help.

My Sims 3 Launcher won't install custom content and store content. Anything that needs to be installed via Launcher simply won't work. It's not an issue with the content, I have tried MANY different items and every time I hit install, a black box pops up like it's about to install, then after a few seconds it goes away and "Install" is still an option as if I had never hit it to begin with. So, basically, it acts like it's going to install, but then nothing happens. I've had this game for a long time and nothing like this has ever happened. Game is up to date. I do have other CC, but I have tried removing it all and it didn't fix the issue. I KNOW I am attempting to install CC correctly and have done this many times in the past.

I also get an error message as soon as I open Launcher. A picture of the error message is attached to this post. I don't know if it's related or not, but since it's new as well, figured I should mention it. Whether I click yes or no, nothing happens. It just closes the box. It will pop up again if I leave launcher up long enough, but that's it. I am still able to launch the game through launcher and it runs just fine. The only issue I'm facing is that it simply refuses to install content. PLEASE help. I've spent hours searching online and can't find squat on my specific issue.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7 (19,757 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Launcher Won't Install CC and Store Content

@ToBeUnmasked  For the launcher error, try clearing the cache for Internet Explorer.  Even if you don't use it, the launcher does for some purposes.  Be sure to uncheck the box to preserve data for favorites.

clear IE cache:  https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

It sounds like you might have a corrupt .dbc file (bundled third-party content in DCCache), bad cc, or some other issue with your TS3 game folder.  To test, pull the entire folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game again, a new folder will spawn with no content.  Try installing your new cc into this folder.  If it works, you've confirmed that the issue is in your old game folder.

It's possible that a clean game folder will take care of the issue, and you'll be able to start installing more cc without having to do anything else.  When testing, though, be sure to copy your .dbc files into the new folder rather than just moving them so that you'll have backups if needed.  If this works, you can move your saves and other content into the new folder from the old one.  (Store content is bundled in .ebc files, also in DCCache, and premium content also requires the ccmerged.package from DCBackup.)

If a clean folder alone doesn't fix the problem, the most thorough way to troubleshoot would be to reinstall all of your sims3packs.  It sounds like you have quite a lot of cc, though, so that might take a while.  An intermediate step would be to copy all of your .dbc files into the new folder, excluding the most recent one (they're numbered by order of creation, starting with zero).  The newest file is the one into which the launcher would be trying and failing to install the new cc.  If you confirm that you can install new cc when all the other .dbc files are present in the new folder, you would then only have to rebuild the newest one.

You could also examine your .dbc files for bad cc, looking for any items that you don't remember adding to your game.  Uninstalling these items might not fix the issues, but if you don't want to have to track down all of your old cc, it's worth a shot.  Crinrict wrote an excellent guide to uninstalling bad cc; scroll down to "Method by Mell":

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (19,748 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks. I did what you suggested after I tried to go to fast in downloading my cc ans other stuff and corrupted one of the files in my TS3 game files. I even tried repairing and I ended uninstalling everything before installing my game. I only change my TS3 game file on the desktop and started the game like you suggested and it worked.

Message 3 of 7 (19,237 Views)

@SakuyaZala  That's great to hear.  Do you still need help with the game?  If so, just let me know.

Message 4 of 7 (19,215 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I tried to take the file out of both locations and now it is reinstalling fir the fourth time, hopefully this works!!
Message 5 of 7 (17,267 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi there, I'm having a similar problem but when I click install on custom content on my sims 3 launcher literally nothing happens. The button just greys for a second then comes back on and I can click it over and over and nothing happens. Sometimes when I click it origin pops open but nothing happens there either. I have ZERO custom content and have tried everything on google and would love to be able to play my game with cc!

Message 6 of 7 (10,722 Views)

@cthewallflower  Does your computer run Windows or macOS?  Does it help to close and reopen the launcher?  And are you downloading custom content from the Exchange or from third-party sites?

Message 7 of 7 (10,708 Views)