Sims 3 Graphics problem

by evolutionary2299

Original Post

Sims 3 Graphics problem

★★★ Newbie

So, I've had Sims 3 and a few expansion packs previously on my old computer and everything worked wonderfully. But! Now with my new laptop (DELL G3 15, Windows 10) I find I can play the sims but it first came up with "graphics not supported" with a few other things said. With this, it's showing the game darker than it should. But on screenshots it's fine. Is there a way around this, or a solution? 

Thanks in advanced!

Message 1 of 2 (190 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Graphics problem

@evolutionary2299  For the unsupported graphics, you can edit the game's .sgr files to force recognition of your card.  It does make a bit of a difference in the graphics quality, but it's not strictly necessary if the game is already running.

The game runs darker for me occasionally, although quitting and rebooting fixes the issue.  Be sure to keep your laptop plugged in while you're playing, starting before you launch the game.  If you've installed Nvidia GeForce Experience, that could also cause the lighting issues; try disabling or uninstalling it.  Or try toggling between fullscreen and Windowed mode—if windowed looks better, but you prefer fullscreen, you can use Windowed Borderless Gaming for the best of both worlds.

I'm not sure what your specs are, since your model of laptop has certain configurations, but if you have an Nvidia 1050, you may be seeing excessively high frame rates as well.  TS3's fps limiter doesn't work, and strong graphics cards can overwork themselves producing frame rates well into the hundreds.  (This can also cause the darker screens, although it's less common.)

You can see your in-game frame rates by bringing up the cheats console (crtl-shift-c) and entering "fps on" without quotes; a number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.  It should never go above the refresh rate of your monitor, which is likely 60 Hz.  If it does, or you're seeing large fluctuations, you'll need to use an outside tool to lock in fps.  For Nvidia cards, the first one to try is the built-in Control Panel, and if it doesn't work (it never works in windowed mode), Nvidia Inspector (free download) is the next option.  Here are screenshots of the setups for both cards, under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

One note:  If you have an Origin install, be sure to use TS3.exe to set up the game's profile, but on a Steam or disc install, you'll need to use TS3w.exe, with the "w."

Finally, if you're still having issues, please run a dxdiag and attach the results here (use the Browse button).

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (178 Views)