Re: Sims 3: Game options getting defaulted on launch

by Kya10

Original Post

Sims 3: Game options getting defaulted on launch

★★ Novice

Hi all,

I'm experiencing an odd issue today when launching sims 3 from origin. I played earlier this afternoon with no problems, aside from that facebook script error which I just click "no"  and continue, however I just logged in and launched sims 3 now a few hours later, and noticed that origin/sims 3 defaulted all my game options, including the resolution, graphics settings, memories, aging, story progression etc.

I had to go through all my game options and settings all over again to fix this, I have never had this problem until now.

does anyone know why this might be happening? I checked my files in the sims 3 folder to make sure I didn't accidentally delete smth I shouldn't have deleted, but all the files are there, the only ones I clear are the cache files, I've done this numerous times with no issue.

I also have not gotten any origin updates today, nor any other software updates on my computer, and I have not uninstalled or installed anything new or changed any hardware recently.

I also noticed that my origin window is now stuck in the top left corner of my screen and I can't move or resize it...

any suggestions as to what might be happening?

thanks in advance! happy simming~

Message 1 of 7 (558 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Kya10  Is your computer a pc or mac? Did the game ever work correctly? If your computer is a pc are you using OneDrive?

Message 2 of 7 (549 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi@roberta591 , my computer is a PC, my game has worked perfectly fine up until tonight. I have never had this issue before, and I'm not using onedrive, thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 7 (541 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Kya10   I have seen OnDrive get activated after a Windows update. What happens is periodically OneDrive moves certain user files to a directory to be synced. Windows knows where these files are but the game does not know these files were moved. If OneDrive is activated after the game has created the user files Windows does not know to redirect calls to these files and the next time you play the game default files are recreated. Windows should redirect calls to these files automatically and OneDrive can operste with out you knowing it (thank you Bill Gates). You do not have to "use" OneDrive but the all powerful Microsoft wants you to use OneDrive. Microsoft spent a lot of momey building data centers and would very much like you to use them.

Message 4 of 7 (521 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

Hi @roberta591 , thank you for the info on one drive. last night after I fixed my settings and restarted my game everything seemed back to normal (though the origin window getting stuck was still a problem last night)

today I uninstalled one drive as a precaution, and launched origin and sims 3 again to check everything, and so far everything seems back to normal, including the origin window it's also back to normal and no longer stuck, though I really don't know what the cause was with my settings getting defaulted yesterday, unfortunately I can't tell if it was one drive or something else.

guess I'll keep an eye on this and hopefully it doesn't happen again

thanks!

Message 5 of 7 (488 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Kya10 At first you could not uninstall OneDrive but it would not work as long as you never logged on to OneDrive. Again this was part of the Windows operating system that is an option that you don't have to use. I can't think of a reason why Origin window got screwed up but I'm glad it got fixed. enjoy the game

Message 6 of 7 (480 Views)

★★★ Novice

my settings always go to default after every new graphics card driver install, very annoying to say the least

Message 7 of 7 (464 Views)