Re: Sims 3 Game Freezes and won't unfreeze PLEASE HELP!

by Spellbound18

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Game Freezes and won't unfreeze PLEASE HELP!

★★★★ Novice

I need help, my sims 3 game was working perfectly fine until recently. I opened up a save that I hadn't played in a while and when I tried the make her go to sleep my game froze up a few hours into the night. I couldn't move my camera or do anything. Time froze and my sim was just stuck sleeping. I tried to restart the game but it did nothing. So I saved the sim and put her in a different save and she was working great for a few days. But now she is freezing again when she sleeps. I started having this problem a few days ago and it's not just that save. I have another save with 2 sims a horse and a cat and whenever I try to get my sims to sleep everything freezes. The thing is though is that I'm only having this problem with those 2 saves and I don't understand why. My game was running perfectly fine and now it's acting strange. I've had so many problems with the sims 3 as everybody has but I love the game and want to continue playing. I feel like I've had more problems then I've actually played the game. I do have CC and Mods but they were never a problem before. I really need help because now I'm scared to open my game and play a family or start a new one because this problem seems to spread. If I play a save that is fine it will start freezing and it is so disappointing. HELP PLEASE!FrownBroken heart

Message 1 of 19 (5,947 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Spellbound18  You've already established that your save runs fine without certain cc files in a certain configuration.  The question is how much time you now want to spend trying to isolate the exact file or combination of files that cause the freezing.  You can still test in batches, or use the 50/50 method, to try to figure it out.  Or you can try with and without CC Magic, which works great for many people but does sometimes cause problems.

Or, if you're getting increasingly frustrated, you can get rid of the new items and play without them, or at least without many of them.  At this point, with your save already working some of the time, it might be easier to just go without a category of items that's causing trouble, or else add just a few files you really want and ditch the rest.

For what it's worth, Lana CC Finds is an aggregator, not a creator, so you probably have a number of different creators' items in your game.  Some creators are more reliable than others, and of course even the good ones can make mistakes.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 17 of 19 (6,503 Views)

All Replies

@Spellbound18  There are a number of reasons why this could happen, from a corrupt sim, to a cc bed, to something else happening in the world at a specific time that then causes the game to freeze.  So to narrow it down, here are a few questions:

• What times are the saves freezing?
  • Have you tried selling the beds the sims are using and buying different ones?
  • Do you ever switch from one save to another via the Main Menu, rather than quitting to desktop and reloading?
  • Do you regularly delete the five caches in your Sims 3 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts?  (CASPartcache, compositorCache, scriptCache, simCompositorCache, socialCache)  If you don't, try it now and let me know whether it helps.
  • What world(s) are you playing in?

Which troubleshooting steps to try next depends on the details, so let me know.

Message 2 of 19 (5,935 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The game freezes at random times. I checked every time I opened up the save and it would freeze at a different time. I always have to exit the game via task manager. No I haven’t tried to delete the beds I wouldn’t think that’s the problem because they were both different beds. They also both were sims 3 expantion pack beds not CC. One was from Generations and the other was from showtime I think. I just recently started switching from save to save via the main menu, however I haven’t being playing the sims a lot recently so I usually don’t switch from save to save. I will just play one save and then quit. The only reason I will go back to the main menu is to try to reset a town or something but not actually play a different family. Yes I do, I delete them every time I get ready to play my game. I also delete the world caches and the thumbnails and the featured items. I was originally playing in Appaloosa Plains. Then I created a new save in a CC world called simmeapolis. The 2 save that is having this problem is in a CC world called Queenstown.

Message 3 of 19 (5,926 Views)

@Spellbound18  So even though your saves freeze while your sims are sleeping or going to bed, there's no pattern to the time?   It still could be an error in the world, although the fact that the time varies makes some problems less likely.  Still, if you happen to use NRaas mods, a good place to start would be with a MasterController reset of the town.  (Click on City Hall and select NRaas > MC > Town Options > Reset Everything.)  Load the save and let the clock run for a few in-game minutes before running the command, then use "Save as" to rename the save, quit (without saving, as a separate step), delete the cache files, reload, and see how the save runs.

If you don't have MasterController, try moving your affected sims out of and back into their house.  The most thorough approach is to go to Edit Town, evict the household, save the house itself to the in-game bin, bulldoze the lot, place the copy of the house, and move your sims back in.  If you do all of ths in one Edit Town session, without saving and replacing the sims themselves with a bin copy, they'll keep their jobs and relationships but lose their promised wishes and opportunities.  After they're back in their house, save as, quit, delete the cache files, reload, and test.

The reason I asked about switching saves at the Main Menu is that doing so can often transfer data from the first save to the second, thereby corrupting the second save.   And it only takes one time to cause a problem.  It's never a good idea to switch this way unless you don't save your progress in the second town, as in maybe you load it to check something but quit right away.  But if the two affected saves haven't been loaded this way, it's not the problem.

You also don't need to delete the worldcache files; doing so can slow down your game somewhat as the files get rebuilt.  If you're sick of emptying out FeaturedItems, you can make the folder read-only, which (usually) prevents the game from adding to that folder.

I don't know of any issues with Queenstown specifically, although I didn't do a thorough search.  It's possible that the world has problems, but it's also possible that this is somewhat random.

You can also list your mods if you want, except for any that are adult-themed, so to speak.  You can talk around those, or just PM me a list of mods if you'd prefer.  There are still plenty of Sims 3 mods floating around that are outdated or poorly made, and the presence of one could account for the freezing as well.

Message 4 of 19 (5,917 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I tried what you recommended but it didn’t work my game still froze. I even decided to not put her to bed to see if it was her sleeping the problem if so I could just cheat her energy but it is not her sleeping the problem. After a few minutes it froze again. I’ll List my mods folder below. Also I use CC Magic for my cc so everything listed below are just mods.

ALLS3SLIDERS(LegitLovely)

BrntWafdlesFreshCutDay3.0IPwater

BWCharlotteClearEyesDEFAULT

Pretty_In_Pink_CAS_Screen_jimTNW

simmaterial_girl_wall_decor

ccmerged

cmomoney_PoesPlayer

infantfeet

Misty_University Life rabbit hole rugs

NRaas Career

NRaas CareerDataSchool

NRaas MasterController

NRass PortraitPanel

NRaas StoryProgression

NRass Traveler

sclub ts3 mod ea eyelash removal fm

sclub ts3 eyelash n3a

AdditionalActivities

Clubs and Activities

Hospitality Apprenticeship 

ICT Apprenticeship 

Learning Apprenticeship 

PropertyServices Apprenticeship 

Vet-Nursing Apprenticeship 

I also have a bunch of full time and part time jobs. I got them, the Apprenticeships, and the clubs and after school activities from missy’s. 

Message 5 of 19 (5,890 Views)

@Spellbound18  Okay, while nothing jumps out about the mods, it's a good idea to test with none at all, and no cc, just to see whether it helps.  The freezing without your sim gooing to bed suggests it's a world issue, for example, a sim changing into a broken outfit.  Just to make things simple, move your entire Sims 3 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Take CCMagic out of the picture (I'm not sure exactly how it works, having never used it myself) as well.

Launch the game to the Main Menu, tweak your settings if you want, quit, open the Saves folder inside the game folder you moved, copy one of your affected saves, and paste it into Saves inside the new folder.  Load that save and see whether you get the same freezing.  If you do, add MasterController to the new game folder, do another town reset, and test again.

You don't mention NRaas ErrorTrap or Overwatch, but these two are great at cleaning up all kinds of game corruption.  It might help to add them here; they'll work on their own, without any need for you to fiddle with settings.

Message 6 of 19 (5,870 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I did as you said and my game was no longer frozen which is great but I had a bunch of CC and store content installed that I want to keep so I just put my old sims 3 file back in my Electronic Arts folder and figured out that that was what was causing the freezing. I had a bunch of unwanted CC in my launcher but couldn’t get rid of it because I had bad CC in my game that would crash my launcher. I keep a backup of all my cc so I’m going to generate a new sims 3 file and add my CC back in being aware of the bad CC. I’ll test that and see if it fixes the problem.

Message 7 of 19 (5,864 Views)

★★★★ Novice

None of what I suggested worked. CC was missing and I have a bunch of stuff I want to keep is there any other solution you could come up with. I truly don’t know what to do at this point. I’ve never had this problem before and now I’m concerned I’ll never be able to play the game anymore.

Message 8 of 19 (5,827 Views)

@Spellbound18  If your game runs correctly with no mods or cc, and it crashes with mods and cc present, then the problem is one or more of those files.  This doesn't mean you need to get rid of all your custom content, just that you have to sort through it to find the bad files.  The 50/50 method works well when you have a lot of cc; even thousands of items can be sorted in a dozen or so tests.  Add half your cc back in and test.  If you don't get a crash, the problem is in the other half, so remove the half you just tested and test half of the remaining files (25% total).  If the first half does cause a crash, split it in half and test, etc.

There's no reason to think you won't be able to play anymore.  At worst, you might lose some cc you like but that causes problems in your game.

Message 9 of 19 (5,819 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Ok I’ll try but if it’s problems with CC in my launcher (which most likely it is) I won’t be able to do the 50/50 method. I’d have to delete everything from my launcher because I delete my download and dcbackup. I know I have bad CC in my game because my launcher crashes whenever I try to uninstall CC from the installed content page. So if I try to uninstall CC from the installed Content tab my launcher would just crash. I don’t have a problem with deleting everything in my launcher and just putting my store content back in which I know is safe.

Message 10 of 19 (5,816 Views)