Sims 3 Game Crashes randomly

by christine800133

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 Game Crashes randomly

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hiya fellow simmers, I semi-recently got a new PC recommended by an amazing hero simmer on this page but I’m running into a problem. My sims game crashes randomly during gameplay. It’s usually between 45min- an hour before it crashes. Sometimes less but never more.

My computer Specs- Intel Core i5- 11600KF- 16GB Memory- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 -500GB SSD

Link to PC:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i5-11600kf-16gb-mem... 

I do have a ton of CC & Mods and a couple overrides. 

Things I’ve tried: 

1. Checked to see if my drivers are updated- They are 

2. Update DirectX - I have DirectXVersion 12 

3. I’ve also updated my Graphic Cards files so it recognizes my graphic card. 

Things to note:

1. I have the Smooth Patch and when I run it through that way, the gameplay is usually a bit longer maybe up to an hour if i’m lucky but then it randomly crashes

2. When I load into my family/gameplay I get a Script Error in the right corner about the Gamer Toner career

3. I play in Storybook county- should I try playing in a Vanilla world and see if the issues persists? I’ve only ever played in custom worlds with this issue

4. Should I try to take my CC & Mods out of the game and see how the gameplay runs?

5. I play in a windowed mode & full screen and it still crashes with no background apps (that im aware of running)

6. One-Driver is disabled and does not backup my files 

7. Crashes are random, they usually happen throughout gameplay but it’s happened twice while  in CAS. I cant really tell what’s pinpointing it, because of how random they are. Sometimes it’s during a save, or when they’re all hanging out at home or when they’re on their way to work. I’ve only ever been able to play a day at a time before it crashes with no warning.

Message 1 of 5 (2,424 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 Game Crashes randomly

@christine800133  The first thing to do if you haven't already is to manually limit your in-game framerates.  I believe the latest version of the Smooth Patch has an fps limiter, but I don't know how well it works.  Otherwise, you can limit fps with the built-in Nvidia Control Panel.

Right-click on the desktop, select the CP, open Manage 3D settings > Program settings, choose TS3.exe (Origin install) or TS3W.exe (with the W, disc or Steam install), scroll down the Max frame rate, and set it to the refresh rate of your monitor.  Then scroll down to vertical sync and set it to On, and set Triple buffering to On as well.  The max frame rate setting should work in any mode; the other two give better overall graphics performance in fullscreen mode.

Whether you've limited fps already or only do it now, please check in-game to make sure the settings are being honored.  Open the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes, and a number will appear in the upper-right corner.  It should never go above the max you've set; if it does, let me know.

If you still get crashes, then yes, the next step is to test with no mods or custom content.  The best way to do that is to move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, allowing the game to create a new folder with no content at all.  (Your existing content will be intact in the folder you've moved, and you can restore it later.)  Don't add anything to the new folder; just start a new save in Sunset Valley or Twinbrook and see how it runs.

The Smooth Patch should be fine overall, with the only obvious potential issue being that if your computer's CPU cooling is inadequate, the Smooth Patch can exacerbate the problem.  If the other steps above don't help, we can look into that next.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (2,404 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice
@christine800133 @puzzlezaddict Thanks again for recommending the PC, it is great but now that I have more free time to actually play. I’ve been running into this problem and suggestions?
Message 2 of 5 (2,420 Views)

@christine800133  The first thing to do if you haven't already is to manually limit your in-game framerates.  I believe the latest version of the Smooth Patch has an fps limiter, but I don't know how well it works.  Otherwise, you can limit fps with the built-in Nvidia Control Panel.

Right-click on the desktop, select the CP, open Manage 3D settings > Program settings, choose TS3.exe (Origin install) or TS3W.exe (with the W, disc or Steam install), scroll down the Max frame rate, and set it to the refresh rate of your monitor.  Then scroll down to vertical sync and set it to On, and set Triple buffering to On as well.  The max frame rate setting should work in any mode; the other two give better overall graphics performance in fullscreen mode.

Whether you've limited fps already or only do it now, please check in-game to make sure the settings are being honored.  Open the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes, and a number will appear in the upper-right corner.  It should never go above the max you've set; if it does, let me know.

If you still get crashes, then yes, the next step is to test with no mods or custom content.  The best way to do that is to move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, allowing the game to create a new folder with no content at all.  (Your existing content will be intact in the folder you've moved, and you can restore it later.)  Don't add anything to the new folder; just start a new save in Sunset Valley or Twinbrook and see how it runs.

The Smooth Patch should be fine overall, with the only obvious potential issue being that if your computer's CPU cooling is inadequate, the Smooth Patch can exacerbate the problem.  If the other steps above don't help, we can look into that next.

Message 3 of 5 (2,405 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict That seemed to the do the trick! Thanks, any tips on how to manage getting the Error 12 message when saving? I have no background apps running while playing.
Message 4 of 5 (2,284 Views)

[ Edited ]

@christine800133  Error 12 is an out of resources condition, usually but not always tied to excessive memory use.  This has nothing to do with your computer's hardware, at least above a certain minimum level which your system easily surpasses.  Sims 3 is a 32-bit program and can only use ~3.7 GB RAM before crashing, and saving causes a spike, so if your save is running close to the limit already, the act of saving can push it over the edge.

It's worth checking to see whether this is in fact your issue before proceeding.  Load your save and let the game clock run for a few sim-minutes, put the game in windowed mode, bring up the Task Manager, and see how much memory Sims 3 itself is using.  Then play for at least 20 minutes and check again.  If you're starting out above 3 GB RAM use, or the number rises quickly, then this is likely the cause of the Error 12s.

If your current save uses over 3 GB RAM just when it's loaded, please quit to desktop, load a new save in the same world, and see how much memory it uses.  Some worlds are too large or too complicated to stay under the memory limit for long, but I don't think Storybook County is among them.  It's also possible that something in your save is eating extra resources, and that may be fixable.  And of course if you're getting an Error 12 despite much lower memory use, we need to look elsewhere.

Please let me know about RAM use, and we'll go from there.

Message 5 of 5 (2,275 Views)