Sims 3 ERROR 16 HELP

by lmaoisa_

Original Post

Sims 3 ERROR 16 HELP

★★ Novice

Hello so I am a huge sims fan and I decided to redownload the sims 3 and the expansions packs I bought with it. I have high end loft stuff, generation, pets, supernatural, ambitions, university life, late nights, and seasons. All which run perfectly fine with settings on high.  I also just bought supernatural. I recently download an abundant amount of cc and had no issue with the family I made until last night I had a message that popped up trying to save that said error 16. I then did some research and proceeded to delete most of my cc. I also recently added sunlit tides and river view to my game. I thought I would be fine and have no issues because my game has never crashed on me and never lags. After deleting most of my custom content and losing the family I made and the saves I had for them, I created a new household in which everything was running fine again until I got the message 2 hours into gameplay. I was not able to save after getting pretty far and had to start from early on again. I tried bulldozing some lots but I’m afraid I won’t ever be able to play the sims 3 normally again. I’m very sad about it because the laptop I have is the kind of laptop I specifically bought to play mostly the sims 3 and sims 4. I’m not sure if buying supernatural took up too much space that caused it to not allow me to save or playing with all expansions packs affects anything. I do have a few other games on my laptop but they are small casual games. I still have 41gb of space left and don’t see why the game wouldn’t be working properly. Also I have tons of custom content on the sims 4 and it never crashes or lags and it runs everything on high. Please help me find a solution because I really don’t want to have to sell my laptop and get one that can run the sims 3 better. Here is my laptop and it’s specs if that helps. Regardless I was planning on upgrading my ram to see if that would help.  

ASUS - TUF Gaming 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti - 256GB SSD - Black

Message 1 of 7 (616 Views)

Re: Sims 3 ERROR 16 HELP

@lmaoisa_  Please move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just start a new save and see whether you get another Error 16.  If the Sims 3 folder copies instead of moving, please say so.

If you do get another Error 16, please let me know what antivirus, if any, you use, and whether OneDrive is active and syncing the contents of Documents.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (605 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I will try that right now and let you know, I appreciate your reply. Also I do not use any antivirus and I do not know how to check if I’m using one drive.

Message 3 of 7 (593 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay so I am using one drive but I’m gonna stop syncing the save files to it and I also moved the sims 3 to my desktop and started a completely new game and everything was fine so far and even smoother. What should I do to prevent error 16 from happening again?

Message 4 of 7 (543 Views)

@lmaoisa_  It might be enough to stop OneDrive from syncing the contents of Documents.  You can test your old save again if you want; let me know whether you get the same error with either it or your new save.

Message 5 of 7 (520 Views)

★★ Novice

hi sorry for the late reply, I literally uninstalled the game completely cause I got too frustrated with the error code 16 but still followed the steps you told me to follow and the game still gives me error 16 after just one generation of a family. I’m also having trouble getting the game to recognize my graphics cards and was wondering if it’s mandatory to get it to recognize my card. I’m at a loss and don’t know what to do. 

Message 6 of 7 (253 Views)

@lmaoisa_  It's not mandatory to get your graphics card recognized, and not doing so would have no impact on the Error 16.  Speaking of which, the Windows-related issue that was causing this error for a number of players was addressed a couple weeks after your last post previous to this one.  So if you're still seeing the error now, the first question is whether Windows is fully updated.

If that's not the issue, please try (again) to play in a clean user folder, just to be thorough.  Move the existing Sims 3 folder to the desktop, and the game will generate a new one with no content the next time you open the launcher, then start a new save and test.

If this doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

The dxdiag will also give me the information I need to help you get your graphics card recognized if you decide you want to get that done anyway.

Message 7 of 7 (238 Views)