Sims 3 Destroyed/"Burned Up" My Video Card TWICE

by KurstinLoRae

Original Post

Sims 3 Destroyed/"Burned Up" My Video Card TWICE

★★★ Newbie

I have been playing Sims 3 for years as well as Sims 2. Back in the day, when I was playing Sims 2 I never had the issue I have been having the past 6 months. About 6 months ago I was playing Sims 3 and all of a sudden my computer went black. It was still turned on but I couldn't see anything. I assumed that the game had frozen, because it lags and freezes constantly. When I restarted my computer all I saw was a green screen and then it turned black, flashed green again and then stayed black. I found out that my video card had burned up in the process of playing the game. I stopped playing the game after this happened and bought a new video card.  I installed Sims 3 Island Paradise on Mothers Day, as it was a gift from my fiance and kids. Literally two hours ago this happened again. My computer not only meets min requirements, it far exceeds them. 

I'm am beyond upset about this. This was a $400 dollar video card that was just RUINED. 

I do not download custom content, nor have I purchased anything from the store. I only play the games themselves. The following games are installed:

Sims 3

Sims 3: Pets

Sims 3: Generations

Sims 3: Island Paradise

Sims 3: Town Life Stuff Pack

Sims 3: High End Loft Stuff Pack

My Computer System Info:

Windows 7

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 (ATI was bought out by AMD or this would be called "ATI Radeon")

Processor: Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60 GHz

RAM: 16 GB

Hard Drive: 2 separate 120 GB each to total 240 GB

System Type: 64 bit

Who do I need to contact in order to get some help with this? As far fetched as EA replacing my video cards sounds, I'd love for that to happen, but I would settle for a refund on all the games that I currently own. 

Message 1 of 2 (1,845 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Destroyed/"Burned Up" My Video Card TWICE

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

You would need to contact EA but you should read this thread and post about video cards that overheat. I Know you don't have Nvidia but same rules would apply.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/693844.page

The sims 3 does not have a frames per second limiter. So you have to go into your Nvidia control panel and enable Vsync . It will lock the frame rate at 60 and stop the card from overheating. Otherwise the game will push the card continually to its max frame rate and overheat it.

You can also monitor your FPS in game using a cheat. Control+Shift+C, testingcheatsenabled true ( enter) fps on (enter.) Your fps will show up on the upper right hand corner of the game

Message 2 of 2 (1,835 Views)