Sims 3 Crashes to Desktop with No Error Message!

by tbluitt2326

Original Post

Re: Sims 3 Crashes to Desktop with No Error Message!

@tbluitt2326  Okay, on the advice of the Windows expert, we'd like to see the Windows dump file(s) related to this crashing.  Open a File Explorer window and copy this into the address bar:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp

and find the file labeled "WER84D2.tmp.mdmp.  If you can't attach it to a post, upload it to a free filehosting site and link it here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 21 of 45 (2,543 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict The folder was empty...Should I play until it crashes again? I had to restart my computer to reactivate Windows Search...And should I still be in Clean Boot or do I go back to normal? 

Message 22 of 45 (2,521 Views)

@tbluitt2326  The crash dump was deleted when you rebooted your computer.  Instead of searching, open a File Explorer window and type (or copy and paste) the path into the address bar.

And yes, please do another clean boot and play until it crashes.

Message 23 of 45 (2,494 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict The folder is still empty even after I pasted it into the search bar and the game crashed again with no restart. 

Message 24 of 45 (2,465 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict Also the crashes happen more frequently the more I play the game (Or attempt to). It went from crashing 4 hours into the game to 5 minutes. 

Message 25 of 45 (2,462 Views)

[ Edited ]

@tbluitt2326  Okay, I think it's time for a clean install of your graphics card drivers.  Here's how to do it:

First, download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1750

You can download fresh drivers (start with Intel VGA) here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7571?b=1

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like:

DDU save.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU GPU.png

Choose GPU in the dropdown menu (step one), then Intel (step 2) if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (step 3).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode. Select "perform a clean installation" and install ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software.

Reboot after the install, and then repeat the process for the Nvidia VGA, also from the Acer site.

Reboot again, and then you can start testing the game.  If it crashes, look for a dump file again, and please run another dxdiag.

(Also, thanks again @Holger1405 for the tutorial, with pictures and everything.)

Message 26 of 45 (2,449 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict Thanks for all of your help so far! Standard smile

Sorry, but I got a few questions about uninstalling my drivers. 

1. Do I download the drivers before I even begin uninstalling them?

2. What drivers exactly do I download? All of them? 

3. What do you mean by password? Do you mean to my laptop? 

Sorry if the questions are dumb, but I just wanted to make sure before I started the process and screw something up. 

Message 27 of 45 (2,424 Views)

@tbluitt2326  It's always better to ask before rather than after.

1. Yes, download the drivers first.  When you do the clean uninstall, you'll be offline, and you want to stay that way before going online again.
  2. Download only the video driver you're about to install.  Among the 16 that Acer offers, there's one from Intel, and one from Nvidia, both listed as VGA drivers.
  3. I mean your computer's password.  Some people use a PIN associated with their Microsoft account instead, which won't work.

Message 28 of 45 (2,416 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

nvm i think I found the drive to install...

Message 29 of 45 (2,403 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict Ok, so I got confused when reading the instructions and messed up when installing the drive. I just had clicked it and installed it normally. Should I uninstall and reinstall again?

Also, what do you mean by ‘custom’? Is that under properties?

Message 30 of 45 (2,397 Views)