Sims 3 Crashes to Desktop with No Error Message!

by tbluitt2326

Original Post

Re: Sims 3 Crashes to Desktop with No Error Message!

[ Edited ]

@tbluitt2326  A clean boot is where you disable almost all programs on startup, thus testing whether some background app is causing the problem.  Here's how to do one:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

But honestly, given how irregular and unpredictable the crashes are, I'm still thinking it's better to start by monitoring RAM use in the Task Manager to see if that's the cause.  If not, then the clean boot is next.  If you do see something in the event viewer, I'd like to see that too.  I didn't ask before because they're often useless, but they do usually report an out of memory condition correctly.

And yes, it's definitely a good idea to run most or all packs, since your goal is presumably to be able to play with all of them.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 45 (3,247 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict

These are what I found in Event Viewer when the game crashed 3 times in a day. 

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 6/12/2019 7:01:07 PM
Event ID: 7009
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
Description:
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Origin Web Helper Service service to connect.
 Got this one two times. 

Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 6/12/2019 7:01:07 PM
Event ID: 7000
Description:
The Origin Web Helper Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 6/12/2019 6:50:34 PM
Event ID: 10016
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user LAPTOP-    (S-1-5-21-1128964473-501203997-3872930036-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 6/12/2019 2:51:25 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Description:
Faulting application name: TS3.exe, version: 0.2.0.32, time stamp: 0x568d4bac
Faulting module name: TS3.exe, version: 0.2.0.32, time stamp: 0x568d4bac
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x004cc116
Faulting process id: 0xc8c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5214b64f235a9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe

Do you need the Event XML too? I deleted it cause it was getting too long. 

Message 12 of 45 (3,220 Views)

@tbluitt2326  That's plenty for now, but the next time you get a crash, I'd love to see everything, just so I can take a look.  In the meantime, you can disable Origin's helper service.  Click the Origin dropdown menu, then select Application Settings.  Under Application (the first tab), scroll to Start-up options, and turn off the helper service.

I don't think the last Event Viewer entry means anything special, other than that TS3 crashed, but I'll ask for a second opinion on that one.

Have you had any crashes since you started watching RAM use?  I hate to keep going back to that, but until it's ruled out, I don't want to recommend any more drastic measures, like a clean driver install.  Incidentally, it's a good thing that you're on an earlier version of Windows, since Acer hasn't updated the drivers for your laptop in over a year.  It did occur to me (and someone else I asked) that the timing is suspicious.  I know you have a more recent version of the Nvidia driver, but it's from Nvidia directly, and your computer might run a bit better with the version Acer made to go with your specific hardware.  Plus, the Intel one is actually older than Acer's newest posting.  Anyway, it's just speculation, but the crashing could be due to the two drivers not being in sync.

Again though, the much simpler issue would be the game going over its memory limit, and solving that has nothing to do with a clean driver install.

Message 13 of 45 (3,211 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict  It crashed again. This time it was in the middle of a save, and when I was pulling up task manager. I noticed the disk hit 3 MB and I got 100% disk before it closed itself out. :\ Good thing I am now in the habit of saving frequently. I also went back to my game with CC. 

I was given the same Error (Event ID 1000) and noticed another one under the Applications tab. 

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 6/15/2019 7:35:36 PM
Event ID: 1001
Level: Information
Description:
Fault bucket 107878438552, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: TS3.exe
P2: 0.2.0.32
P3: 568d4bac
P4: TS3.exe
P5: 0.2.0.32
P6: 568d4bac
P7: c0000005
P8: 0050ff61
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER84D2.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_TS3.exe_8b6d3cdd2f533ad78bcbec864cdac67eec9b6_4df59a0a_01bc9e94

I think it also means it just crashed. 

Message 14 of 45 (3,205 Views)

@tbluitt2326  Okay, the 100% disk usage is bugging me.  Do a clean boot (I think I linked it before) and play that way for a while.  Let me know if you get another crash, and again keep an eye on the Task Manager.

Message 15 of 45 (3,200 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict So, for the clean boot, I need to enable my NIVIDA features to play the game but I don't know how to enable just that and not the rest of it, and do I disable my virus protection or leave it? 

Message 16 of 45 (3,181 Views)

@tbluitt2326  Disable your antivirus.  With "Nvidia features," are you referring to GeForce Experience?  Leave that disabled too.  TS3 doesn't need it and often runs better without it.

Message 17 of 45 (3,175 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict yeah, that was what I meant, when I disabled all of it TS3 wouldn't run. It said I didn't have a drive. 

Message 18 of 45 (3,168 Views)

@tbluitt2326  Again, strange.  Try only enabling your antivirus, not GFE, and see if that helps.  If not, you should be able to manually open GFE as well.

Message 19 of 45 (3,166 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I got it to work. Not sure what happened the first time around. It crashed in the clean boot. The disk didn't spike to 100% this time but it was still high, and RAM wasn't above 1000 MB. The game does freeze up before it crashes, but only sometimes. 

Message 20 of 45 (3,148 Views)