Re: Sim won't go to work

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sim won't go to work

★★★★★ Apprentice

So my Sim randomly stopped going to work. 

I've seen another post where changing their work outfit is part of the issue, however what's happened when I've tried to do that is the default one has become something entirely different and the new temporary one I created for him has disappeared. 

When I went back in, he had a totally different work outfit to the one that was there again. 

So, to clarify, he's now had four work outfits - the one the game assigned him, one I created for him, one the game randomly assigned for him (deleting the first two - the game assigned one and the one I created) and then it has given him two different ones since. The temporary one I created has been removed. 

Help! This family is for a YouTube series I created and it kinda messes it all up if I can't play the file anymore! 

Message 1 of 8 (446 Views)

@ldthomson  What happens when you try to send the sim to work?  Does it help to send the sim to the work lot first (click on the ground, "go here") before telling him to start his work shift?

Also, do you use mods?  I can't remember whether you mentioned that before; it's been a very long three weeks.  The reason I ask is that the work lot itself might be glitched, and it's easier to fix with mods, although it can be done without as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (440 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
No, that doesn’t work either. In every instance, going to work appears in his queue and then just disappears again immediately. No mods here, I feel like the game has enough issues without adding homegrown cording to it as well!
Message 3 of 8 (435 Views)

@ldthomson  Some mods are quite well made, better-made than the game itself, and have been extensively tested.  But you certainly don't have to use them.

Try bulldozing the workplace and placing a new copy.  You'll need to place a second workplace in the world first, or else your sim and all the others who work there will lose their jobs when you remove the first lot, even if you replace it right away without ever leaving Edit Town.

Please also quit to desktop and delete the five cache files in your user folder (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3) before testing.  For reference:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

Message 4 of 8 (421 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict I will give this a try, I've deleted the files however I'm struggling to find somewhere in Bridgeport where I can place another 64x64 lot in order to be able to place another (temporary) studio.

Is there anywhere I can do this? I suppose, if it comes to it, I can repurpose an existing lot temporarily..
Message 5 of 8 (399 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Ok, so, further to my original response, I've now done all this and sadly, he still won't go to work!

To confirm what I did:

- Removed all of the above files
- Launched the game
- Went straight to Edit Town
- Placed a new temporary lot on the water in which I could place a new movie studio
- Placed a new studio
- Bulldozed the one that was already there
- Moved the new studio to it's place
- Deleted the temporary lot

Went back to the game and tried it - work appears in his queue and then instantly disappears again. Still!

So frustrating!
Message 6 of 8 (398 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Aha!

My apologies for all of the emails with my replies - I persisted because I had to be able to film for my YT channel today.

I came cross this - I'd seen something to do with his work outfit prior to this, it seems to be something with level 6 of the acting career which causes it.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/774739/urgh-sim-wont-go-to-work-glitch

I changed him into his career outfit (which has became something else, by itself, again!) and off he went! Running out the door as he's now 2 hours late!

Very irritating...I suppose it's just something I'll have to live with that EA never bothered to iron out before the game went out of development...
Message 7 of 8 (397 Views)

@ldthomson  Glad you got it figured out.  I think if the sim gets promoted, the issue should go away.

Message 8 of 8 (377 Views)