Re: Sim's 4 and other EA games crash before main menu

by LegendOfZirkle

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sim's 4 and other EA games crash before main menu

★★ Novice

Hello I recently built a computer for a friend which has more than enough power to run sims. However every time they launch the game it crashes before the main menu. I have cleared the EA cache, tried running as administrator, launching in windows mode, ect. Nothing seems to work. It is a windows 11 computer all the drivers are up to date. All help would be greatly appreciated. 

Also my friend tried multiple times to reach out to EA support and they did absolutely nothing

Message 1 of 8 (671 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

So I formatted the drive and installed windows 10 instead of 11 and sims worked. I did have an issue installing origin but I just needed to download microsoft visual studio 2015. Thank you for your help.

View in thread

Message 8 of 8 (431 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@LegendOfZirkle Have you tried Windows update? Please post the computer's dxdiag.

Message 2 of 8 (647 Views)

★★ Novice

its a fresh install of windows its as updated as it can be, I will get a dxdiag tomorrow

Message 3 of 8 (641 Views)

★★ Novice

Sorry this took a while I went on vacation but I have a copy of the dxdiag. there doesn't appear to be any errors

Message 4 of 8 (496 Views)

@LegendOfZirkle  For the Sims 4 issue itself, please try killing any Razer processes in the Task Manager before launching the game.  If that doesn't help, try playing in a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

The dxdiag also lists a lot of crashes of something called wallpaper.exe.  Google says it could belong to Steam or one of at least a few other applications, and I don't know whether you've even seen any related issues, but it's worth mentioning in case you have something else to troubleshoot.

This isn't related to the Sims 4 crashing, but I wanted to note a couple of things.  First, the C drive is getting full, so you'll want to start moving games and other data to D.  However, Windows should actually be on what is now the D drive, not on C.  A Samsung 860 is fast, but a 970 Evo Plus is about seven times faster.  While that won't matter for many applications, including Sims 4, which can't make use of the extra speed, Windows can and will.

So if you have the time to do it, I'd suggest reinstalling Windows on the currently empty 970.  This shouldn't be difficult, and you can then transfer the data currently on the 860 to the 970 and go from there.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 8 (484 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, I believe I have tried killing the razor tasks already but I will try again. As for wallpaper that's probably wallpaper engine which I believe she got after we noticed the issue. As for the hard drives the 960 was originally meant to install windows but the BIOS was not detecting it as a bootable drive, I had to get another hard drive and then partition the 960 after the install. Ill let you know how the clean boot goes though.

Message 6 of 8 (477 Views)

★★ Novice
@LegendOfZirkle i menat 970 not 960
Message 7 of 8 (476 Views)

★★ Novice

So I formatted the drive and installed windows 10 instead of 11 and sims worked. I did have an issue installing origin but I just needed to download microsoft visual studio 2015. Thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 8 (432 Views)