Re: Sim family that won't save to the library

by BillFlowerpot

Original Post

Sim family that won't save to the library

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi.  I have a family of two that I love to play and would like to save separately, so that I can place in my backup folder of families not the game library. However, the family will not save to the library and consequently it wont save to the export folder.

Any suggestions?  

Message 1 of 8 (2,685 Views)

@BillFlowerpot  Are you trying to save the family with the house included?  If so, try doing the sims and the lot separately.  Evict the sims first, save them while they're on the clipboard, then save the house.  This works better than the combination.

If that doesn't help (or you've already tried), use "save as" to rename the save.  This way, you'll have your regular save to go back to, and this new one can be for experimenting.  Try moving the sims to a new lot, using either the Evict/Place function or the regular Move via phone.  (If one doesn't help, try the other.)  Once they're on the new lot, save, quit, delete your cache files, reload, and try to save.  You can of course still save their original home lot separately.

If this doesn't work either, send the sims traveling if you have World Adventures, or if not, move the sims to a new world via phone.  Again, save, quit, delete your cache files, reload, and try to save the sims after evicting them in Edit Town.

By the way, you don't need to export and import the family.  When you save anything to the in-game bin, a corresponding file lands in Library.  These files are named with a random string of characters, but you can rename them to anything you like, as long as the .package extension remains intact.  The files will be timestamped from the time you created them, so you can easily tell them apart.  You can copy or transfer them to another game folder, and the game will read them normally.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (2,672 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi and thank's

1, when I save a family it is most often only the family and if I wish to keep the home I save that as an unoccupied lot.

2, I have tried to send them on holiday using 'World Adventure' I arrive but they don't.

3, I can move them from one lot to another by evicting and then placing.

4, I can move them from one lot to another in the same neighbourhood, in game by the estate agent on the telephone.

5, When I try to move them from one world to another it is the same as travelling on holiday I arrive they don't  I get the set up menu asking me to chose a household etc.

6, I like to save my families as export files I can then keep them in a backup file on a memory pen, with a note on who they are, their occupations etc and a screen shot of them.

7,  As the family I speak of wont save there is nothing to rename in the library.

I asked this because I would like to restart the game but with most of the families at the current stage of life.  Why you may ask,  It take about 15 minutes to load the game.  It is easy to rebuild lots.

Or do you have a suggestion that might clean up my game and speed the load time.

I regularly remove the five *Cache.package since I read that it is advisable to do so.

Yours BillFlowepot.

Message 3 of 8 (2,661 Views)

@BillFlowerpot  It does sound like your game is corrupted already, or perhaps massively overloaded.  When you move the sims to a new lot, can you save them afterwards, either before or after quitting and reloading?  The point was to see if that process, which is a kind or reset all by itself, would make it possible for them to save.

You can also try the various suggestions in a clean game folder.  Pull your existing one out of Documents\EA and onto your desktop, and launch the game to create a new one.  Then copy over Saves from your old folder to your new one, and load the save.  You'll probably get a warning about missing objects, but since you're not saving your progress, it's not a big deal.  You can always tinker with your sims' wardrobes later, when you've placed them in the new save.

The .package files in Library can be transferred anywhere you want as well.  I understand that you don't have any new files in there; the point was that if you did manage to save the sims, you could use the resulting Library file rather than having to go through the process of exporting them.

The last-ditch approach would be to save the sims in CAS and recreate the family later.  The resulting sims would be new, with no skills or money, but there are cheats to restore the money, at least.  Bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "testingcheatsenabled true" without quotes.  Then shift-click on a sim (or is it crtl-click, I never remember) and select Edit in Create a Sim.  From there, you can save the sim to the CAS bin; the resulting file lands in SavedSims.

I have plenty of suggestions that would clean up your game and speed load time.  Most of them involve mods.  Some others:

• Turn off memories.  These are a huge drain on performance.  It's not going to help as much now, since the sims in your world probably already have overstuffed memory journals.  It will help in future saves though.
  • Turn off the in-game shopping experience and the hidden object interactive loading screens.
  • Turn down water and high detail lots in the graphics options; these are the biggest resource hogs.  I have mine on "mirrors only" and 2, respectively.
  • Don't login at the launcher or Main Menu.
  • Keep your sims' inventories as empty as possible.  A few items is fine; a few hundred is not.
  • Don't overclutter your houses and community lots.  The more objects on them, the longer it takes to render the lots.
  • Delete everything in FeaturedItems inside your game folder.  This is the store trying to sell you stuff.
  • Avoid playing in broken worlds, like Isla Paradiso, or fix them first.  Avoid excessively large custom worlds as well, like Alpine County—they're impossible to play in for an extended period of time.

You don't have to do all of these things; just pick a few that suit you and see how it goes.

Also, for any given family, you can evict and replace them in Edit Town.  If you don't actually save and replace them, they'll keep their jobs and relationships but lose their promised wishes and opportunities.  (Of course, inactive sims don't have them anyway.)  The more thorough reset would be to evict them, save their house to the bin, bulldoze the lot, replace it with its bin copy, and move the family back in, all in one Edit Town session.

The thing is though, this save might be too far gone to recover.  You can always try, but there's no guarantee any of this would work.  Even the mods can't fix everything, although they do a good job of preventing corruption in the first place.

Message 4 of 8 (2,655 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi, Thank's,  I have just tried one of you suggestions, with a slight twist, I renamed the folder Featureditems and loaded the saved game already mentioned.  I took under five minutes.  Thus far I am well pleased,  By the by the replacement folder contains 109 items, whereas the old folder had 2161.  Needless to say I will delete this folder regularly from now on.

I have not had the memories on since I started this particular game as I get annoyed by the constant messages that some sim's journal is full and no more memories can be saved. It interrupts the flow of the game.

The same is true of the in game shopping experience. I don't really know what you mean by 'hidden object interactive loading screens'.

The family inventory has just a few items not more then 8 and the personal inventories also has little: a car each, a few books and some fruits.  I also removed all parking spaces as they tend to become unusable with abandoned cars.

I will own up to a full town, and to a home with lots of 'Clutter' as you put it (You can't have only half a room furnished it look a if you are just moving in or out).

Back to the original problem,  I have tried all of your latest suggestions.  Everything I do must be in the one edit session as the clipboard is lost otherwise and they won't save.  I have also bulldozed and rebuilt from scratch but nothing has cured the problem.

Otherwise they function in game well, they go to work, go to bed, cook, play catch, do sports workouts, use all the facilities, interact with each other and other guest and friends.  All in all a well rounded family.  I see no reason to do anything that takes them back to square 1 as I have the original save from their creation.  I can't see that it is any more hassle to click the export button and then move the file over than it is to search a folder with randomly named files then rename and then move the file over, as long as you remember at the other end to uninstall rather than delete there's no problem. 

Yours BillFlowerpot.

Message 5 of 8 (2,646 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@BillFlowerpot for future reference what are mods, how do they work in as much as how do I use them and where do I get them.

Yours again BillFlowerpot.
Message 6 of 8 (2,643 Views)

@BillFlowerpot  The hidden object interactive loading screens are shown while your save is loading.  You try to find the listed object and click on it, thereby earning lifetime happiness points for the sims you're about to play.  This option is on by default, but you can turn it off easily enough.

I could have sworn I mentioned it before, but I guess I didn't:  One other approach, if you haven't already tried it, is to switch active families, quit, clear caches, reload, then try to save this household to the bin.  (Evict first if you need to, or try the other suggestions that didn't work before, especially including the clean game folder.)

A couple of final suggestions on saving this family:  First, empty out their personal and family inventories completely, then quit, clear your cache files, reload, evict, and save from there.  It's possible one of the inventories contains a corrupt item.

The other thing you can try is splitting the family in Edit Town and saving them separately.  I understand it's not exactly what you're looking for, but at the very least, you'll find out if one of your sims is corrupt in some way.

Mods are game modifications, written to add features to a game and/or clean up errors.  If you're not already interested, I'm not trying to sell you on them.  But if you are, this is a good tutorial:

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

The mods I use to keep my game clean are all from NRaas.  I can recommend a few, but first, make sure this is something you're comfortable doing.  Not everyone is, which is fine, but there aren't really any more in-game ways I can think of to force the family to save.

Message 7 of 8 (2,624 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi, and thank's

I had had a look at the links you included and they seam very technical.  I will have another look and perhaps another look and if they start to make sense I will get back to you.

Although it was not to the point as I want to save the two as a family I have tried splitting the two (and felt guilty doing so) but that did not help.  Neither would save.  I seams that all options have been exhausted.

Yours BillFlowerpot

P.S. I do feel a bit of a twit, the number of HO games I have played I should have known.

Message 8 of 8 (2,604 Views)