Serious lag after last game update

by Half-rose

Original Post

Re: Serious lag after last game update

@LadyDarkSorrow  Try disabling your iCUE software while you play.  It's crashing pretty often and could be interfering with the game.

Your dxdiag also lists a couple of update failures, although those could have installed later.  Please run any pending updates manually: hit Windows key-i, choose Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 31 (710 Views)

@Half-rose  What kind of Windows account are you using: admin or something else?  Do you input a PIN or just automatically login to your account at boot?  I've always thought you needed a password on at least one account on the computer, at least with Windows 10.

Since I'm not sure what's going on with your account, before you boot into safe mode, please try setting a password; you can remove it later.  Otherwise, you might lock yourself out and lose your data.  Hit Windows key-i, then Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, and you can set or change a password from there.

Message 12 of 31 (705 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'm the admin of it. I actually managed to do it without requiring a password so I suppose my safemode didn't have any.

I done all the steps, unfortunately, it is still stuttering itself to oblivion. I did a quick record of what it is doing, sometimes it gets worse than that, making full stops.

https://gyazo.com/7bce06b081197520c421496d3dfcde91

this confuses me even more because I run games with a lot more graphical and polygon requirement than sims 4, in fact i've played said games yesterday with no issue. It is just doing it for Sims 4

Message 13 of 31 (697 Views)

★ Guide

I have a high end gaming Pc and I'm still having this problem. The game has so much lag, especially since the last update. I usually get 120-130 fps pretty consistently. But now I'm getting high fps but it randomly drops to 55 fps to 36 fps and then goes back up. Sometimes, it goes as low as 16 fps. I found that if I click the options button at the top of the UI it resets and the fps is fine for short while. Also. I've noticed that on community lots the fps is all over the place. Depending on what direction you have the camera facing the fps ranges anywhere from 130 fps to 26 fps. It makes the game feel unplayable. I feel the game isn't optimized properly for high end Pc's. I know I'm not the only one having these issues, plenty of people are complaining about this on the forums. 

I tested this with and without mods. I reset my sims 4 folder, uninstalled and re-installed the game. I disconnected my computer from the internet, and tried other recommendations on this forum. Nothing helps.

My pc specs: RTX 280 Super GPU 8GB VRAM, I7-9700 CPU, 16GB Ram dual channel Hyper X Fury 2660Mgz

I'll attach a DXdiag for more info maybe someone can help me.

Message 14 of 31 (692 Views)

@Half-rose  I can see how that stutter would be annoying.  It's not really lag though, which is when the game clock seems to pause for a few seconds and then catch up, with the sims' animations also freezing and catching up all at once.  I'm not sure if this is just an issue with the game and the latest Nvidia drivers, since you're not the only person to describe this with the newest driver installed.  I'll keep an eye out for more posts like this and see if there's a good way to address it.

In the interim, you can try playing with the graphics settings to see if a lower setting in one category or another helps.  I'm not saying you need to play like this, but trying on low settings and then increasing one or two at a time might flag a particular setting as problematic.

You could also theoretically revert back to a slightly older driver for your card.  Your current one is version 446.14, so you'd want to go back a few versions (441 or 442 perhaps; I'd have to look up the numbers).  I'm not really recommending this, I'm just saying you could experiment if you wanted.  If you do, please make sure you use a reputable site like Guru3D.com and get a WHQL driver rather than a hotfix.

Message 15 of 31 (683 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I played with the graphics settings in the game and didn't change anything unfortunatelly. I'll probably try some other things, and maybe try the reverting driver to see if it maybe it does it.

By the way thanks for taking time to give me a hand, I really appreciate it.

Message 16 of 31 (678 Views)

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict Thanks for your reply! I have been playing around with the graphics settings today to see what was causing it. It seems me that the reflection quality (especially when there are a lot of mirrors in a build), post-processing effects (makes the fps go down depending on the direction the camera is facing. Worlds like Windenburgh and Brindleton Bay suffers a lot from this) and uncompressed sims textures causing issues with inconsistent frames rate.
Message 17 of 31 (667 Views)

★★ Guide

@Half-rose It's probably linked to your email account from Microsoft. 

It was for mine.

Message 18 of 31 (663 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@JeanVW  what you mean? can you explain it to me cause, I haven't seen this solution yet

Message 19 of 31 (655 Views)

★★ Guide

@Half-rose  I was referring to the password/pin protection for the DDU. But Idk if that was meant for you haha.

Message 20 of 31 (648 Views)