Screenshots stopped saving [S0LVED]

by caitlinlafolle

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Screenshots stopped saving [S0LVED]

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

My game has never had a problem saving screenshots before it stopped completely in January.

I have Windows 10 and all of the EPs, GPs, SPs, and patches installed, save for My First Pet Stuff. I don't know exactly what triggered the problem because I didn't notice that they weren't saving at first, and I wasn't installing things as soon as they came out, but the last screenshots that saved are from January 8th, so I'm guessing it started either with Cats & Dogs or the Toddler patch?

When I take a screenshot (either with C or with the camera button), the dialogue appears for saving it in the Screenshot Manager, but not in the folder (I think for awhile it was bringing up the folder notification but still not saving).

If I take some screenshots and look in the Screenshot Manager, the latest one will be there and the others will be blank. When you click them they look like this broken image llama picture. If I take another screenshot then the last one that appeared before will be blank like the others. (See pictures.) The screenshots don't save in my Screenshot folder in Documents at all.

-Yes, I'm looking in the correct folder (C:\Users\Name\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Screenshots\)

-I don't use OneDrive

-Windows Defender's folder protection is off

-I have the TS4 folder added to my exceptions list in Avast (I also added the TS4 folder in Program Files)

-I've tried taking out the Screenshots folder to let the game generate a new one

-I've tried taking out all the mods

-I've tried starting a new game

-I've tried resetting my game by taking out the TS4 folder in Documents

-I've tried doing a COMPLETE uninstall and reinstall of all the games

I seem to have the exact same problem as the OP here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Screenshots-not-saving-at-all/td-p/6561375

The only thing I can think of to do next is reinstall everything AGAIN, which seems pointless, but ... I don't know what else to do!

Message 1 of 8 (8,472 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Screenshots stopped saving

★★ Novice

So ... I fixed it! Or at least found a workaround. I wanted to update this for anyone who has the same problem in the future.

(To answer your question, I'd left mods and CC out of my game until I had absolutely given up on fixing  it.)

The way I eventually solved the problem was by creating a new Windows profile and running the game from there. The game now takes screenshots again, even with my preexisting save. I don't know why it doesn't work on my regular profile (even after a second complete uninstall and reinstall, it still doesn't), but it doesn't matter anymore. I now have a separate profile just for TS4. I think I saw this suggested as a way to fix errors on some EA page, so kudos to them! I wish I'd tried it sooner.

Thank you for your help, Sasha!

View in thread

Message 5 of 8 (8,657 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Hi @caitlinlafolle 

You did say 'since the Cats and Dogs' pack.. so perhaps try checking the requirements again.. as the Cats and Dogs pack was quite a large expansion, and proved to be an issue for quite a lot of people, Additionally, you can check these links for the minimum requirements for playing the Sims 4, with the Cats and Dogs pack additionally, as it's increased it quite a bit: 

Hope this helps you, let me know the results.

Sasha

nb: If this solves your question, please mark the reply as having been the solution, so as to help others with a similar problem in the future.

I have no connection to EA

Message 2 of 8 (8,453 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi!

Thank you for replying! My computer does meet the requirements, and the game doesn't run into any of the issues mentioned in the first link.

Last night I also tried doing a clean boot (as EA recommends here), but nothing changed.

I'm thinking I might do a complete uninstall and reinstall again, checking the game in a new save after each install so I can at least pinpoint where the problem starts, even if it doesn't fix it!

Message 3 of 8 (8,432 Views)

★★ Pro

Hi @caitlinlafolle

Just checking, you mentioned that

• -I've tried taking out all the mods

Once you have them out of the game and during the process of 'fixing' this issue, I'd leave them out until the problem is finalized.

• Once they are all out try repairing your game, and going through to clear cache and clean boot etc; but all with no mods or cc.

Sasha

Message 4 of 8 (8,418 Views)

★★ Novice

So ... I fixed it! Or at least found a workaround. I wanted to update this for anyone who has the same problem in the future.

(To answer your question, I'd left mods and CC out of my game until I had absolutely given up on fixing  it.)

The way I eventually solved the problem was by creating a new Windows profile and running the game from there. The game now takes screenshots again, even with my preexisting save. I don't know why it doesn't work on my regular profile (even after a second complete uninstall and reinstall, it still doesn't), but it doesn't matter anymore. I now have a separate profile just for TS4. I think I saw this suggested as a way to fix errors on some EA page, so kudos to them! I wish I'd tried it sooner.

Thank you for your help, Sasha!

Message 5 of 8 (8,658 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Hi @caitlinlafolle

Glad you found a workaround for now then, as it is a known bug - also found these few links with other methods.

one at EA and a few at Carls Sims 4 Guide &.2nd one

Also ideas on Clearing the Cache but if the workaround suits you that's great then.

Sasha

Message 6 of 8 (8,351 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello, you needed to download the game again in the new profile? I cant see how to play the game without downloading it again

Message 7 of 8 (2,756 Views)

Hero
@DarthBiam

What happens exactly in your game ? Do you get llama pictures as well or do they just not save at all ?

What security software are you using ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 8 (2,741 Views)