Screenshots not saving at all

by dianetti

Original Post

Screenshots not saving at all

★★★ Novice

This has been happening to me ever since I updated my game to version 1.36.104.1020 (the one that fixed Error Code 102). Whenever I take a screenshot in my game (whether in CAS, live or build mode), it doesn't save to its screenshots folder in My Documents. I receive the notification that the screenshot was taken, but when I look into the folder it's not there at all. Other things like Simstagram Photos and Reference Photos for Paintings also do not end up saving in the screenshots folder. Removing my CC didn't help either, and I've got no mods installed. I hope someone can help me, thanks! 

Message 1 of 13 (7,399 Views)

Re: Screenshots not saving at all

Champion (Retired)
In all likelihood you use Onedrive and will find the screenshot in the documents folder there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 13 (7,342 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@dianetti

Like JP said you might be looking in the wrong place!

Check your in-game settings, where do they say the screenshots will be saved?

Skärmklipp.PNG

Message 3 of 13 (7,328 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi! I don't use OneDrive and I've also checked my game, but it says that the screenshots are saved in the default place (My Documents)

Untitled.png

I've also tried checking it out in a new save in case the save file was the problem, but screenshots still didn't save.

Message 4 of 13 (7,316 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@dianetti

Please check the "show dialog", so that we can see what the game tells you when you take the screenshot. Also someone got this fixed after resetting the game, so that might be with a try! Standard smile 

Try resetting your files to factory settings.

• Make a backup; copy your The Sims 4-folder from C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to an external drive or somewhere else on your computer, for example your desktop.
  • Rename the The Sims 4-folder in C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to The Sims 4_backup
  • Start the game, make a new save, and see if the error is gone. 
    (The game will have created a new The Sims 4-folder in your documents, this is supposed to happen)

• If yes, continue
      • If no, post a reply telling us the error is still there
  • Start putting folders back in the new The Sims 4-folder. Observe! After every file/folder, start the game and make sure it still works, before putting in the next one.
    • Options.ini - your game settings
    • Saves - your old saves. The sub-folders are not needed. If putting these back causes problem, try putting one back at a time.
    • Screenshots - don't do this, maybe the folder is full, who knows :P
    • Custom music - if you have any
    • Tray - your library objects; like lots, rooms and sims
    • Mods - your mods and cc, might cause problems when putting back

If putting back one of the folders was problematic and you did not work it out, please post a reply and we'll see if we can find what your problem is!

Source: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/backing-up-and-resetting-the-sims-4/

Good Luck! Standard smile

Message 5 of 13 (7,302 Views)

★★★ Novice

The error is still there after I did the reset. I did check out the screenshots in the screenshot manager in-game and this is what comes up:

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

When I check the screenshot manager after taking a screenshot, the newest one will appear, but the previous ones will not. The screenshots did appear to be taken, but there isn't an actual screenshot within it, it just shows a llama. Then when I exit the manager and I come back to it, all of screenshots taken suddenly appear to be like that.

Message 6 of 13 (7,285 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@dianetti

I've never seen this.. The mesdsage you get about the screenshot, if you click the arrow below. does it expand?

Skärmklipp.PNG

Message 7 of 13 (7,269 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

For testing purposes please try turning off Windows Defenders protection of the Documents folder. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046851/windows-10-controlled-folder-access-windows-defende...

Does the screenshots now save?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 8 of 13 (7,261 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, the arrow does not expand when I click it. Nothing happens to it.

My Windows Defender is already off because I'm using another antivirus (Avast).

Message 9 of 13 (7,244 Views)

Champion (Retired)

defender.jpgThat you use another AV does not mean that Windows Defender is turned off (it did in previous versions). If your Virus & Threat protection looks like the image then it is turned on. Click on the arrow beside "Windows Defender Antivirus Options" there you can turn off Windows Defender. Or you can click Virus and Protection settings. There you can turn off just the folder protection.

Also check If Avast has an option to protect folders it may be called Ransom Ware Protection.

Notice that the above directions are only valid for a fully updated Windows 10. Before The Fall Creators update it did not have this.

Message 10 of 13 (7,229 Views)