Re: Screen goes black and Windows locks up

by FlamingoKicker

Original Post

@FlamingoKicker  You can try deleting the pack and redownloading it; that should (in theory) give you a clean error-less version of the pack.  Clear Origin's cache first:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

Then open the Sims 4 install folder, which, unless you changed the default install location in Origin, will be here:

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4

Delete the EP10 folder (Snowy Escape is the tenth expansion released), open Origin, click on the Sims 4 icon, select More > Expansion Packs, and download SE again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 21 of 34 (592 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yep. that's pretty much what I did.  With Snowy Escape offer my machine the game runs fine.  Add it back and guess what?  It crashes to a black screen.   That tells me it has something to do with the pack, OR it has something to do with the update (more likely)  that EA gave us to work with the pack cause I ran the pack for about a week when it first came out and I didn't have any issues but apparently some players did so they were able to get EA to make changes for them but those things must have affected my game negatively.

I think it is about time for them to abandon Sims 4 and move on to Sims 5 where they can start the whole money pit again.

Message 22 of 34 (579 Views)

@FlamingoKicker  I'm sorry to hear that even a new download of Snowy Escape isn't helping.  This is still with no mods or custom content, right?  A lot of mods were broken by the SE update, and some turned out to be incompatible with the pack's content even though they appear to work fine otherwise.

At any rate, you might want to check back after the patch that's released ahead of the next pack.  Those patches also include at least a few fixes for known issues with other content.

If you're tired of uninstalling and reinstalling, you can instead disable SE, or any pack you don't want to load, in Origin:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2017/03/disable-single-packs/

Message 23 of 34 (573 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I haven't had much further success with anything I've tried.  Thought I'd made some headway earlier this week but then just as soon the old black screen returned for no reason (with or without sound enabled, with or without mods,  clean install, etc.)  I definitely will try disabling SE cause everything logically points at that being the problem.  I wonder if there is just much more graphic demands from that pack than others and that's what's causing the crashes.  If that one doesn't load could that make any difference?  Who knows?  At this point it could be the cycle of the moon.

Message 24 of 34 (549 Views)

@FlamingoKicker  I'm still happy to read an hwinfo log, if you want to make one.  Perhaps something will jump out that makes it more clear what's happening with your computer.

Message 25 of 34 (542 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I tried somethings today like disabling SE but of course, that didn't do jack.   Then I got the idea of seeing whether I could play other Origin games or if they'd crash too.  I have several Non-Maxis games so I played them and they had no problems and I enjoyed playing something besides the Sims for an afternoon but at the end I went back to see about the Sims and not only did Sims 4 still crash but on a whim I wanted to see if Sims 3 would still play and it crashed but Sims 2 played fine although I doubt I will be playing it regularly anytime soon.  I just keep it around for nostalgia.  Would be interesting if EA would put Sims 1 on Origin but that's another issue.

I will have to scroll back thru and find out about that hwinfo.log and run one.  I must have missed that email or had other things on my mind.

Message 26 of 34 (536 Views)

★★ Apprentice

OK, I got the hwinfo app and ran it but something didn't work right on my computer cause it would crash to the blue screen of death each time I had the log running and then tried to launch Sims 4.  Maybe my computer is just too old or the CPU isn't powerful enough to handle the program?

Message 27 of 34 (519 Views)

@FlamingoKicker  Hwinfo is a very lightweight program, and I've never heard of it causing a BlueScreen.  Were you running anything else, for example GPU-Z, at the same time?

At any rate, please upload the minidump(s) for the BSODs.  Open a File Explorer window and enter C:\Windows\Minidump.  For any logs that were written around the time you saw the BlueScreens, right-click and select Copy, then right-click on your desktop and Paste.  You can zip the logs together, upload them to a free filesharing site, and link them here,

Message 28 of 34 (512 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Regarding the blue screen issue and HWinfo, I found a posting on line where they mention people having this problem with old out of date hardware drivers.  I have checked all my devices though thru Device Manager and none of mine need updating so if I just have old stuff  that's not compatible with the program then maybe that's the issue?

Either way  I didn't have anything else running in the background at the time.  In fact I went and made sure everything wad shut down in Task Manager and from the tool bar.

Oh,  my new graphics card arrived so I'll have that installed tomorrow and see if that was a pointless purchase or if it helps.

Message 29 of 34 (493 Views)

@FlamingoKicker  It's entirely possible that one of your components doesn't have a new enough driver to play nice with hwinfo.  However, I've had people run it on pre-2010 computers without issues, so it's not only the age of the hardware.

Anyway, if the new graphics card doesn't fix the problem, please let me know.

Message 30 of 34 (473 Views)