Screen flickering when in fulll-screen mode?

by LeannaJadeeeeeee

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Screen flickering when in fulll-screen mode?

★★★ Novice

My screen keeps glitching/flickering whenever I put it into fullscreen mode. 

It works fine on Window Fullscreen and windowed but when I put it into fullscreen the screen and IU will have visual glitches everywhere. Everything is on high(it doesn't matter though, I've tested it out on low and mediums settings and it still does this) and I've recently got a new screen so it's done this with two different screens now. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? My game seems to look better when it's in full-screen graphics wise so I'd like to be able to play it without everything freaking out. 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 6 (1,213 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Screen flickering when in fulll-screen mode?

@LeannaJadeeeeeee  Most of the crashes in your dxdiag are from Dell SupportAssist, which is supposed to download new drivers and other software for your computer.  But it's clearly not doing its job—some of your drivers are quite out of date—and the crashes could be slowing down your system.  Even though it's probably not directly related to the screen flickering, it's still a good idea to uninstall the software.  Instructions are here:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/dell-supportassist-pcs-tablets/saaug/uninstall-support...

If you want to reinstall it, instructions for that are on the same page.  I'd personally prefer to update everything myself, but a lot of people don't want to have to monitor that closely.

On the subject of the flickering, the one Sims 4 error is probably related to the driver for your graphics card.  The simplest solution is to update it.  You can download a new one here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/159887/en-us

And please make sure your monitor is plugged into the graphics card itself, not the motherboard.  Here's a diagram I'm borrowing from someone else:

GPU port.jpg

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (1,137 Views)

All Replies

@LeannaJadeeeeeee  Try enabling vertical sync in the in-game graphics options.  If that doesn't help, there are other approaches too, but some of them depend on what graphics card you have.  To cover that as well as potential issues with the GPU, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 6 (1,179 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for replying to me, hp[efully you'll be able to see what I'm trying to attach. 

Message 3 of 6 (1,157 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Also, vertical sync is and has been enabled, and full-screen use to work fine with my current computer, I'm not sure when it stopped working but I've only had this computer for the last year and a half.
Message 4 of 6 (1,147 Views)

@LeannaJadeeeeeee  Most of the crashes in your dxdiag are from Dell SupportAssist, which is supposed to download new drivers and other software for your computer.  But it's clearly not doing its job—some of your drivers are quite out of date—and the crashes could be slowing down your system.  Even though it's probably not directly related to the screen flickering, it's still a good idea to uninstall the software.  Instructions are here:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/dell-supportassist-pcs-tablets/saaug/uninstall-support...

If you want to reinstall it, instructions for that are on the same page.  I'd personally prefer to update everything myself, but a lot of people don't want to have to monitor that closely.

On the subject of the flickering, the one Sims 4 error is probably related to the driver for your graphics card.  The simplest solution is to update it.  You can download a new one here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/159887/en-us

And please make sure your monitor is plugged into the graphics card itself, not the motherboard.  Here's a diagram I'm borrowing from someone else:

GPU port.jpg

Message 5 of 6 (1,138 Views)

★★★ Novice

IT WORKED!!! You are a very kind person and a true gaming hero! THANK YOU!, more than I can express, thank you! I didn't realize how rough my game was looking until now and it's so beautiful! lol!. 

I updated my card and silly me had my screen plugged into the wrong port so I plugged it into the right place like you told me and voila! I'm SO happy, I've been trying to figure this out for months. 

I know you don't even work for EA so to take the time out of your day to look through my stuff and figure out a solution for me is just amazing, thank you!. 

Message 6 of 6 (1,098 Views)